About this program
Portuguese and Spanish
Our aim at the School of Modern Languages is to enable our students to become ‘global citizens’. Our graduates are highly skilled linguists with a comprehensive skillset which prepares them to work in a host of careers and professions nationally and internationally.
Our BA Portuguese and Spanish programme (which has both beginner and post-A-level entry points) allows you to gain very high level language skills and an in-depth understanding of Hispanic and Lusophone culture. A year abroad spent working, studying or teaching in the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking world hones your language, your intercultural awareness and builds a valuable skill set in a job market thirsty for strong foreign language capability.
Portuguese is a language with global importance, from Portugal and Brazil to several countries and regions in Africa and Asia. The British Council has identified Portuguese as one of the most vital languages for the future of the UK in the next 20 years and it is one of the most widely spoken community languages in the UK. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world. Spoken by more than 400 million people across more than 20 countries worldwide, it is one of the most useful languages in the world for business and leisure alike. It opens doors to a vibrant and diverse range of cultural experiences.
On completion of this four-year programme, you will have a high level of language proficiency, as well as a critical understanding of key aspects of Spanish and Portuguese history, culture, literature, politics and contemporary society, depending on your areas of specialisation.
Typical A level offer
ABB-BBB. If you have grade B in the relevant language A-level you will have access to the languages advanced pathways.
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Understanding Hispanidad in a Global Context
- Histories and Cultures of the Portuguese-Speaking World: National and Transnational
Cultures in Context (Portuguese)
- Ex-Advanced Language Year 2 Spanish
- Ex-Beginners Language Year 2 Spanish
- Ex-Beginners Language Year 2 Portuguese
- Ex-Advanced Language Year 2 Portuguese
- The World & Language of Business (Spanish Ex-Beginners)
- Introduction to Catalan Language & Culture
- Cultures in Context (Spanish)
- The World & Language of Business (Spanish)
- Introduction to Specialised Translation
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Study Abroad (Spanish, Spring)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Work Placement (Spanish, Spring)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Work Placement
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Study Abroad
- Sandwich Year Project (Autumn Semester)
- Sandwich Year Project (Spring Semester)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Work Placement (Portuguese, Spring)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Study Abroad (Portuguese, Spring)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Work Placement (Portuguese)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad: Study Abroad (Portuguese)
- High-Level Proficiency in Spanish Language
- High-Level Proficiency in Portuguese Language
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK and Ireland Students:£9,000 per year
- Tuition fees for International Students:£19,450 per year
What skills will I practise and develop?
As a result of engaging fully with this course, you will acquire and develop a range of valuable skills, both those which are discipline specific and more generic ‘employability skills’. These will allow you to:
- develop your linguistic skills as well as a broad appreciation of the culture, literature and history of Portuguese and Spanish speaking countries
- grasp complex issues with confidence
- ask the right questions of complex texts
- have an imaginative appreciation of different views and options and analyse these critically
- identify and apply relevant data
- develop practical research skills
- propose imaginative solutions of your own that are rooted in evidence
- communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively in writing and speech
- work to deadlines and priorities, managing a range of tasks at the same time
- learn from constructive criticism and incorporate its insights
- work as part of a team, developing a collaborative approach to problem-solving
- use IT programs and digital media, where appropriate
- take responsibility for your own learning program and professional development.
Many graduates enjoy their year overseas so much that after graduation they take time out to continue travelling or they go abroad to work.
Our graduates flourish in the job market as our employment statistics underline. Their language degrees lead them into a diverse and exciting range of careers which have included finance, international sport liaison roles, business consultancy, education, health, the media, politics, diplomacy, interpreting, translation, law and teaching.
Message the school
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Portuguese and Spanish? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...