Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Our aim at the School of Modern Languages is to enable our students to become ‘global citizens’. Our graduates are highly skilled linguists with a comprehensive skillset which prepares them to work in a host of careers and professions nationally and internationally.
Our BA Modern Chinese allows you to gain very high level language skills and an in-depth understanding of Chinese culture. This degree hones your language, your intercultural awareness and builds a valuable skill set for your CV in a job market thirsty for strong foreign language capability.
This four-year Modern Chinese program is a unique and exciting opportunity to study a dual degree offered jointly with Beijing Normal University (BNU). Two years of the degree are spent in China (years 2 and 3), two years in Cardiff (years 1 and 4).
Chinese is a major language with a global reach, possessing a rich and sophisticated culture. By studying Chinese, you will gain a wealth of transferable skills and knowledge beneficial to the world of employment, making you competitive and attractive in an increasingly international workforce and opening the doors to a variety of career paths.
On completion of this four-year program, you will have a high level of proficiency in the language, as well as a critical understanding of key aspects of Chinese history, culture, literature, politics and contemporary society.
- Study in Cardiff and Beijing and receive a degree from both Cardiff University and Beijing Normal University.
- Spend two years in China to achieve advanced fluency in Mandarin.
- Fully immerse yourself in Chinese life via modules in Chinese history and modern day Chinese culture.
- An internship opportunity is included in year three, embedding vocational employability into the program.
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2020/21 academic year. The final modules will be published by September.
Typical A level offer
Please contact the University. Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese as a heritage language will also be considered alongside other A Levels.
Extended Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Contemporary China
- China in Context
- Chinese Cinema
- Advanced Mandarin Chinese Language Year 1
- Mandarin Chinese Language Beginners
- Japan in Context
- Introduction to Translation Methods
- Introduction to Translation Theory
- Credits Pursued at an Institution other than Cardiff University
- Advanced Mandarin Chinese 2
- Advanced Mandarin Chinese 1
- Popular Culture in China
- Business Negotiation in Chinese
- Internet Culture in China
- Cities and Villages in China
- Ancient Chinese History
- High-Level Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese Language
- Final Year Dissertation - Chinese (in English)
- Management in China: Domestic & International Developments
- China, Greater China & China Overseas
Tuition Fees for UK and EU students is £9,000
Tuition Fees for students from outside the EU is £18,200
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
You will acquire and develop a range of valuable skills, both those which are discipline specific and more generic ‘employability skills’. These will allow you to:
- Develop your linguistic skills, as well as a broad appreciation of the culture, literature, and history of China
- Grasp complex issues with confidence
- Ask the right questions of complex texts
- Have an imaginative appreciation of different views and options and analyse these critically
- Identify and apply relevant data
- Develop practical research skills
- Propose imaginative solutions of your own that are rooted in evidence
- Communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively in writing and speech
- Work to deadlines and priorities, managing a range of tasks at the same time
- Learn from constructive criticism and incorporate its insights
- Work as part of a team, developing a collaborative approach to problem-solving
- Use IT programs and digital media, where appropriate
- Take responsibility for your own learning program and professional development
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Modern Chinese? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...