Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Mathematics (Research)Cardiff University
The program aims to offer knowledge and expertise for a career in the academic world, or to pursue a variety of other opportunities in which a strong mathematical background is important. Past students are on the staff of universities in the UK and abroad, and senior statisticians and managers in industry and business.
Available research areas
- Number theory
- Functional analysis and spectral theory of ordinary and partial differential operators
- Calculus of variations and partial differential equations
- Numerical analysis
- Theoretical and computational fluid dynamics
- Operator algebras and non commutative geometry
- Algebraic topology
- Algebraic geometry
- Quantum field theory and statistical mechanics
- Conformal field theory and vertex operator algebras
- Image processing
- Operational research
- Time series analysis
- Probability theory and statistics.
- Lively research environment, extensive seminar program.
- Conference and workshop support, including annual Welsh Mathematics Colloquium.
- Optional participation in undergraduate teaching, including HEA accreditation.
- Colloquia are held regularly and each research group has a weekly research seminar.
- The School hosts and participates in frequent workshops organised by WIMSC research clusters, with which the research groups are associated.
- The many collaborative projects with groups in other institutions in the UK and abroad, bring a steady stream of distinguished visitors to the School.
Suitable for graduates in Mathematics (or a suitable related field). A 1st or upper 2nd class UK Honours degree, or equivalent is required.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
In addition to in-depth knowledge of a mathematical research area, PhD students gain general research and presentation skills, and (optionally) undergraduate teaching skills, HEA accreditation possible.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Mathematics (Research)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD
Pretoria, South Africa
Doctorate / PhD
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain