About this program
Taught by leading scholars across a range of periods and geographies, our MA History program seeks to satisfy your curiosity about history while deepening your knowledge of its key concepts and methods as a discipline.
As an MA History student at Cardiff University, you will benefit from the opportunity to explore a variety of approaches to study of the past – social, cultural, intellectual, political – across a broad chronological and geographic range.
Our academic interests span British, Welsh, European (including Central and Eastern Europe, and Russia), Asian, and North American histories from the medieval to the modern period. The extensive range of our expertise enables you to develop your own particular research interests and to pursue modules that allow you to develop and extend these.
Typically you will need to have either:
- a 2:1 honours degree in History or in a related discipline, or an equivalent international degree
- a university-recognised equivalent academic qualification
- or relevant professional experience evidenced by a reference.
If you are submitting your application based upon relevant professionalexperience, please provide a reference from your employer to evidence that you currently work in an area relevant to the program. This should be signed, dated and less than six months old at the time you submit your application.
English Language Requirements
IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 in all subskills, or an accepted equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please check the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
Core modules for year one
- Sources and Evidence: Advanced Historical Research Skills
- Theories, Methods and Practices of History
- Writing History: Dissertation Preparation
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Full-Time tuition fees
- UK students: £8,450
- International students: £19,450
Part-Time tuition fees
- UK students: £4,225
- International students: £9,725
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
The Learning Outcomes for this program describe what you will be able to do as a result of your study at Cardiff University. They will help you to understand what is expected of you.
The Learning Outcomes for this program can be found below:
Knowledge & Understanding:
On successful completion of the program you will have acquired:
- comprehensive knowledge and understanding of historical processes and change within a specific period, geographical region, or thematic approach
- critical knowledge and understanding of current trends, methods and approaches to History as a discipline, historical research, and the management and preservation of the past
- critical knowledge and understanding of approaches to archival, printed, or digital source-material for the investigation of historical questions
- critical knowledge of the role and value of History as a discipline in the context both of research and employment
On successful completion of the program you will be able to evidence advanced ability:
- to use historical source material creatively, persuasively, and discursively
- to reflect deeply on historical knowledge and to demonstrate an awareness of current debates to develop new hypotheses in light of alternative and competing frameworks
- to analyse a range of historical subjects in the light of alternative and competing frameworks
- to locate and critically evaluate archival, printed, or digital source-material for the investigation of specific historical questions
- to formulate and sustain independent historical arguments, to provide appropriate evidence to support them, and to reference the sources of the evidence used
Our Master’s degree graduates find work (or return to work) in a wide range of related and non-related professional and academic employment. For other graduates, our Master’s degree is an important step on the path to a PhD at Cardiff or elsewhere.
The program equips you with the intellectual skills and personal development acquired through advanced historical study. These are much sought after in a variety of workplaces, and provide you with a depth of historical perspective that helps you to contribute in important ways to the advancement of your own society.
The skills you will develop through completing a Master’s degree at Cardiff will qualify you for a wide range of professions. Popular employment sectors include education, the law, journalism, publishing, advertising and marketing, the civil service, heritage, government, and other professional sectors.
From the outset, we encourage you to think about life beyond the University. In addition to taught modules and academic workshops, we offer dedicated sessions to increaseyour transferable skills and employability prospects to give you a competitive advantage on graduating.
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 154th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about History? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!