Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Financial Mathematics with a Year AbroadCardiff University
Financial Mathematics with a Year Abroad
This four-year programme features an adventure-packed third year studying at one of our partner universities across the globe.
To manage the complex financial sector, banks and financial institutions need talented mathematicians who are fluent in the language of finance.
This course will provide you with a solid foundation in mathematics, whilst also developing knowledge and skills that are essential for jobs in the finance industry, including an understanding of modern financial markets, institutions, investments and policies. You will focus on issues and topics relevant to the computational and market design side of contemporary finance, such as:
- Complex Systems
- Trading (in particular high-frequency trading)
- Fund Management
On this course, you will study at a university abroad during your third year before returning to Cardiff for a final year. Our School has agreements with universities across the globe, and you will have support to apply for your overseas year.
Studying abroad is a great way to broaden your academic knowledge, immerse yourself in another culture and gain skills that could be valued by employers. Not only can it enhance your CV by demonstrating key skills such as communication, flexibility and collaborative working, it can also provide you with valuable networking opportunities. Above all, it is the start of a new adventure. A chance to experience other cultures and viewpoints, make new friends and share unforgettable experiences.
Typical A level offer
AAB-ABB including Grade A in Mathematics. Please note that General Studies is not accepted for entry.
Extended Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Elementary Differential Equations
- Foundations of Mathematics I
- Foundations of Mathematics II
- Linear Algebra I
- Introduction to Probability Theory
- Statistical Inference
- Computing for Mathematics
- Economics for Financial Mathematics
- Finance I: Financial Markets and Corporate Financial Management
- Fundamental skills for University and Beyond
- Operational Research
- Calculus of Several Variables
- Series and Transforms
- Linear Algebra II
- Foundations of Probability and Statistics
- Finance II: Investment Management
- Econometrics for Financial Mathematics
- Modelling with Differential Equations
- Complex Analysis
- Real Analysis
- Programming and Statistics
- Mathematical Investigations with Python
- Problem Solving
- Study Abroad
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting
- Project (Half)
- Complex Function Theory
- Coding Theory
- Theoretical and Computational Partial Differential Equations
- Methods of Applied Mathematics
- Regression Analysis and Experimental Design
- Stochastic Processes for Finance and Insurance
- Official Statistics
- Multivariate Data Analysis
- Algorithms and Heuristics
- Game Theory
- Stochastic OR Models
- Mathematical Methods for Data Mining
- Behavioural Finance
- Market Microstructure and Trading Theory
- Trading, Market Design and Applications
- Cyflwyniad i addysgu Mathemateg mewn ysgol uwchradd
- Introduction to Secondary School Mathematics Teaching
The full tuition fees for UK and EU Students is £9,000.The tuition fees for Students from outside the EU is £21,950
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
You will acquire and develop a range of valuable skills, both discipline specific and more generic employability skills. You will:
- Develop your knowledge of core mathematics including calculus, algebra, analysis and complex variable theory;
- Enhance your understanding of the principles and some of the techniques of proof;
- Develop the skills needed in mathematical reasoning and manipulation;
- Learn how to apply the principles and techniques of mathematical/statistical modelling and formulate and solve mathematical problems;
- Enhance your ability to perform mathematical calculations with attention to precision and logic;
- Develop your self-management and organisational skills;
- Develop your time management and presentational skills through independent and group working.
You can use your BSc in Financial Mathematics as a pathway to the workforce where you may meet our alumni working in finance, government, marketing or even agriculture. Or, you might choose to widen your career options to include a range of related fields by completing postgraduate studies in mathematics, the science, computing or engineering.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Financial Mathematics with a Year Abroad? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Has COVID-19 affected your study abroad plans?
We want to hear your stories. Help us get a better idea of how the coronavirus is impacting international students by taking our two minute survey.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America