About this program
Economics and Finance with a Professional Placement Year
The Economics and Finance course offers you the opportunity to combine the main elements of Economics with the study of Finance.
The programme emphasises the close relationship between Economics and Finance, and places those subjects in their broader organisational, social and political contexts.
You will also be given the opportunity to pursue specialist areas of particular interest.
A mixture of core and optional modules will be employed, which allows you to follow certain areas of interest, while acquiring a sound knowledge of the main elements of both subjects. Equal weighting is given to both subjects throughout the three years of the degree.
The programme will provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge, both theoretical and practical, through the professional placement year, to take on responsible positions early in a variety of careers in various sectors of banking and finance.
Typical A level offer
AAB-ABB. Must include Maths.
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
Trinity ISE II/III
II: at least two Distinctions and two Merits. III: at least a Pass in all components.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Applied Stats and Maths in Econ and Business
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Management and Organisation
- Fundamentals of Finance
- Corporate Financial Management
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Microeconomic Theory
- Introductory Econometrics
Year three: Sandwich year
- Professional Placement
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Corporate Finance and Strategy
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Tuition fees for UK and Ireland Students
- Year one £9,000
- Year two £9,000
- Year three £9,000
- Year four £9,000
Tuition fees for International Students
- Year one £19,700
- Year two £19,700
- Year three £19,700
- Year four £19,700
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
As a result of engaging fully with this course, you will acquire and develop a range of valuable skills, both those which are discipline specific and more generic ‘employability skills’. These will allow you to:
- Grasp complex issues with confidence
- Ask the right questions of complex texts
- Have an imaginative appreciation of different views and options and analyse these critically
- Identify and apply relevant data
- Develop practical research skills
- Propose imaginative solutions of your own that are rooted in evidence
- Communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively in writing and speech
- Sourcing, interpreting and presenting relevant numerical information – to support the composition of projects reports and business cases
- Work to deadlines and priorities, managing a range of tasks at the same time
- Work as part of a team, developing a collaborative approach to problem-solving
- Use IT programmes and standard software packages, where appropriate
- Take responsibility for your own learning programme and professional development.
Our business degrees give students a broad range of skills which are valued by a range of employers in the private and public sectors. In 2015/16, 92% of the School’s graduates who were available for work reported they were in employment and/or further study within six months of graduating.
In addition to the central University Careers Service, our students benefit from a dedicated on-site Careers and Placements service to help them find internships, job opportunities and to access business-industry specific advice, training and guidance.
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 154th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about Economics and Finance with a Professional Placement Year? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!