About this program
Civil Engineering (MEng)
Civil engineers play a key role in planning, designing, constructing and maintaining the physical environment around us, including buildings and structures, flood defences and water supply programmes.
Our civil engineering programme offers you a highly regarded degree course at one of the top universities in this field, preparing you for exciting future career opportunities in designing and working with the built and natural environments.
You will develop a thorough understanding of civil engineering theory, which will be backed up by practical application through laboratory and research work, field courses and design classes, enabling you to develop your career in any area of the civil engineering industry.
The MEng allows you to use the last two years to expand and strengthen your knowledge in civil engineering. You will benefit from advanced learning in design and management and an appreciation of the techniques needed to manage and organise a multidisciplinary engineering design project.
Other civil engineering courses include:
- A thorough grounding in the fundamentals of civil engineering if you choose a BEng course
- The opportunity to follow a sandwich year in industry if you choose the relevant four-year BEng or five-year MEng degree option
- The opportunity to study abroad at a partner institution for one semester if you choose the relevant MEng (International) degree option
- The opportunity to study a language if you choose the relevant MEng degree option with a sandwich year at a university in France, Germany or Spain
Typical A level offer
AAA-AAB. Must include grade A in Maths. You will need to pass the science practical element of the A-level if this is part of your programme of study.
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Engineering Analysis
- Computing 1
- Environmental Fluid and Geomechanics
- Materials and Construction
- Design Studies
- Professional Engineering
- Engineering Analysis
- Computing 2
- Hydraulics and Soil Mechanics
- Professional Studies and Construction
- Structural Analysis and Design
- Construction and Construction Management
- Structural Analysis
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Design Studies
- Civil Engineering Design
- Environmental Hydraulics
- Professional Engineering Studies
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK Students: £9,000 per year.
- Tuition fees for International Students: £23,450 per year.
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
This course is accredited via the Engineering Council, meaning the core competencies of UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) are integrated throughout the taught years of the course.
Through lab work you will develop practical skills focused on the application of a range of engineering principles to real-life technological, regulatory and ethical problems encountered in the engineering profession.
You will also:
- Enhance your communication skills, both orally and in writing through a series of reports and assignments
- Develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to solve multidisciplinary problems in a engineering context
- Civil Engineer
- Technology Analyst
- Project Manager
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 154th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about Civil Engineering (MEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!