About this program
Civil and Environmental Engineering (MEng)
Civil and environmental engineering is civil engineering with a focus on environmental issues such as waste management, building on contaminated land and water treatment.
Our civil and environmental engineering programme offers you a highly regarded degree course at one of the top universities in this field, preparing you for exciting future career opportunities in designing and working with the built and natural environments. You will develop a thorough understanding of civil and environmental engineering theory, which will be backed up by practical application through laboratory and research work, field trips and design classes. Optional modules can be selected from those with an environmental theme.
The MEng allows you to use the last two years to expand and strengthen your knowledge in civil and environmental engineering. You will benefit from advanced learning in design and management and an appreciation of the techniques needed to manage and organise a multidisciplinary engineering design project.
Typical A level offer
AAA-AAB. Must include grade A in Maths. You will need to pass the science practical element of the A-level if this is part of your programme of study.
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Engineering Analysis
- Computing 1
- Environmental Fluid and Geomechanics
- Materials and Construction
- Design Studies
- Professional Engineering
- Engineering Analysis
- Computing 2
- Environmental Engineering
- Hydraulics and Soil Mechanics
- Professional Studies and Construction
- Structural Analysis and Design
- Construction and Construction Management
- Environmental Policy and Regulation
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Design Studies
- Civil Engineering Design
- Environmental Hydraulics
- Soil and Groundwater Chemistry
- Industrial Practice
- Professional Engineering Studies
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK Students: £9,000 per year.
- Tuition fees for International Students: £23,450 per year.
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
This course is accredited via the Engineering Council, meaning the core competencies of UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) are integrated throughout the taught years of the course.
You will develop a number of practical skills during the laboratory-based sessions, while there is a consistent core of management skills and personal development.
You will also:
- Develop your understanding of the application of architecture, building conceptual design and building services within the context of engineering and construction
- Develop your understanding of environmental problems arising from activities and the consequences of construction – and how to mitigate or remedy them
- Enhance your communication skills, both orally and in writing through a series of reports and assignments
- Develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to solve multidisciplinary problems in a civil engineering context
- Graduate Civil Engineer
- Site Engineer
- Design Engineer
Message the school
About this institute
Cardiff University is among the top 25 universities in the UK and is ranked 154th in the world. Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK....
Want to know more about Civil and Environmental Engineering (MEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!