Accounting and Finance with a Professional Placement Year
Multiple financial crises, technological developments, globalisation and regulatory changes have revolutionised the international financial sector. As organisations find ways to respond to these unprecedented changes, employees with cross-cutting accounting and finance expertise are in high demand.
Our BSc Accounting and Finance with a Professional Placement Year programme is accredited by the Accounting Professional Bodies and is designed to equip you with practical skills and professional confidence for a successful career in accounting and finance-related roles, or in preparation for postgraduate study and research.
On a universal first year, shared with our BSc Accounting programme you’ll develop business and finance expertise from our team of international researchers and qualified accounting professionals. They’ll introduce you to corporate finance and strategy, markets, institutions and taxation while encouraging you to consider the social, economic and ethical implications of your decisions.
Your Professional Placement Year is an opportunity to put your university knowhow into practice as you take up a paid accounting or finance role and complement your academic study with exposure to real-world business scenarios.
- Study on a degree accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
- Acquire business and finance skills from leading international researchers and qualified accounting professionals.
- Train in our state-of-the-art Trading Room, the largest in Wales.
- Prepare for your career in finance with exemptions from chartered accounting professional examinations.
- Attend industry-specific workshops organised in partnership with professionals from the leading financial sector organisations and accrediting bodies.
- Pursue a professional placement year to kick start your professional training and stand out in the employment market.
Typical A level offer
AAB-ABB. Please note General Studies, Citizenship Studies and Critical thinking will not be accepted.
Extended Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Applied Stats and Maths in Econ and Business
- Legal Studies
- Introduction to Management and Organisation
- Foundations of Business Accounting
- Professional Skills for Accountants
- Introduction to Economics
- Fundamentals of Financial Reporting
- Fundamentals of Finance
- Principles of Marketing and Strategy
- Management Accounting
- Corporate Financial Management
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Corporate Reporting
- Inferential Statistics, Statistical Modelling and Survey Methods
- Law of Commerce, Banking and Investment
- Auditing and Assurance
Year Three: Sandwich Year
- Professional Placement
- Financial Derivatives
- Management Accounting and Control
- Advanced Corporate Reporting
- Corporate Finance and Strategy
- Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Development of Accounting
- Exploratory Data Analysis
- Analysis of Financial Reporting Information
- International Financial Management
- Public Sector Accounting
- Corporate Governance and Accountability
- Modelling in Management Science
- Taxation Policy, Practice and Administration
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK and Ireland Students: £9,000 per year.
- Tuition fees for International Students: £19,700 per year.
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
As a result of engaging fully with this course you will acquire and develop a range of valuable skills, those which are discipline specific and more generic ‘employability skills’. These will allow you to:
- Grasp complex issues with confidence.
- Ask the right questions of complex texts.
- Have an imaginative appreciation of different views and options and analyse these critically.
- Identify and apply relevant data.
- Develop practical research skills.
- Propose imaginative solutions of your own that are rooted in evidence.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively in writing and speech.
- Source, interpret and present relevant numerical information.
- Work to deadlines and priorities, managing a range of tasks at the same time.
- Work as part of a team, developing a collaborative approach to problem-solving.
- Use IT programmes and standard software packages, where appropriate.
- Take responsibility for your own learning programme and professional development.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Accounting and Finance with a Professional Placement Year? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Melbourne (Australia), Australia