About this program
Women's Studies explores the experiences of women in cultures around the world. This program is interdisciplinary and examines the social construction of gender and sexual differences with an emphasis on women's experiences.
Women's Studies seeks to acknowledge and understand how gender relates to ethnicity, race, social class, religion, sexuality, nationality, globalization and other factors that shape everyday life. Students in the program acquire the knowledge and skills to understand the history and structures of gender inequalities and how to advocate for women's rights and freedoms.
CSUDH's Women's Studies Program unequivocally affirms that Black Lives Matter, and we will continuously ensure that our intellectual and activist work reflects this insight. Our curriculum has been, and will continue to be, grounded in decolonizing pedagogy; the works and theories of women of color; and queer, non-binary, and gender-expansive voices and worldviews.
Chat live with students from CSUDH
Do you want to know what it's like to study at California State University, Dominguez Hills? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Students must receive a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher for California residents (3.0 for non-California residents)
- Students must complete all A-G college preparatory coursework with grades of C- or better. For Fall 2021 applicants, A-G coursework with a Pass/Credit taken during Winter/Spring/Summer 2020 will be considered to fulfill A-G requirements.
- Students must graduate from high school or equivalent
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Lower Division Core Requirements for the WMS Major
- Gender, Sex, the Body & Politics: An Introduction
- Foundations in Women’s Studies
Upper Division Core Requirements for the WMS Major
- Race, Class, and Gender
- Feminist Principles
- Feminist Research Methods
- Feminist Theories
- Senior Capstone
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information
Undergraduate University Fees for a Full-Time Student (Based on 24 units per year)
- Tuition fees for California residents: $5,742
- Other campus-based fees: $1,203
- Total: $6,945 per academic year
Undergraduate University Fees for a Part-Time Student
- Tuition fees for California residents: $3,330
- Other campus-based fees: $1,203
- Total: $4,533 per academic year
- Explain and critically analyze how different social, political, and economic forces have historically impacted the experiences and representations of women in the United States and abroad.
- Use intersectional approaches to demonstrate comparative knowledge of how societal institutions and power structures shape the material reality of women’s lives, not only with respect to gender, but also race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, social class, ability, sexual orientation, age, etc.
- Synthesize foundational and contemporary feminist theories from a variety of textual, media, and information sources, using discipline-specific methodologies in the creation of original papers, projects, oral presentations, and creative works.
- Evaluate the unity and divisions within the women’s movement with the goal of learning how to engage in and/or implement practical solutions to contemporary, real-world problems.
- Engage in critical self-reflection in order to demonstrate an understanding of agency and social responsibility in personal, professional, and community settings.
Women’s Studies helps students prepare for the professional world in a number of ways. As an interdisciplinary program, Women’s Studies exposes students to a number of different schools of thought, theories, and methodologies. Students who major in Women’s Studies go on to a variety of careers in the arts, business, social services, community organizing, and government agencies. A double-major or minor in Women’s Studies can help students specialize their career with a focus on women and gender, and can enhance students’ job prospects in counseling, education, law, medicine, and technology, as well as creative fields and other business endeavors.
Message the school
About this institute
Study at California State University, Dominguez Hills
Welcome to California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) in South Los Angeles, California. Our institution has SMART classrooms, new sports facilities, and a 1-million square meter campus. International students can join our Study Abroad America program for one or two semesters. You...
Want to know more about Women's Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!