Behavioural Sciences with Foundation Year
The Foundation Year will allow you to develop your academic study skills and build confidence in your abilities, identifying your own strengths and development needs for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
Interested in people, how they think, feel and behave? This course is for those fascinated by human behaviour and emotion, but who don’t want to become a Chartered Psychologist. On this Program you’ll explore what makes people tick from a range of perspectives and specialise in areas of particular interest.
Understanding human behaviour and emotion
This degree in Behavioural Sciences will give you a detailed and balanced knowledge of this fascinating subject and build a strong foundation for your career in this field. As part of this degree you will learn how to analyse data effectively, write concise reports and give engaging presentations.
During the first year you’ll develop a strong background in Behavioural Sciences through core modules that cover cognitive, biological, developmental, social and personality psychology. You’ll also look at research methods, making sense of society and take an introduction to cross-disciplinary psychology.
Creating your own degree
As you enter the second year, you’ll be increasingly led by your own interests and have the opportunity to explore specialist fields in more detail. These may include areas of Psychology, Criminology and Sociology.
You’ll build an understanding of the four main areas of Behavioural Sciences – Biopsychology, Developmental Psychology, Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology and Personality and Individual Differences.
In the final year, you will tailor your degree further by taking more specialised options and take the last core module, Social Psychology, before writing your dissertation.
What are the course entry requirements?
Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for the 3-year undergraduate Program, or those who do not feel fully prepared for a Level 4 course, will be considered for the 4-year Program including a Foundation Year.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Foundation Year Modules
- Preparing for Success Knowledge and Creativity
- Preparing for Success Self-development and Responsibility
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Foundations of Psychology
Year 1 Modules
- Making Sense of Society: Understanding the Social World
- Making Sense of Society: The Sociological Imagination
- Intro to Biological Psychology & Cognitive Psychology
- Intro to Cross-Disciplinary Psychology
- Intro to Developmental & Social Psychology
- Intro to Personality & Applying Psychology (optional)
- Psychological Research Methods
Year 2 Modules
- Developmental Psychology
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology
- Qualitative Research Methods in Psychology (optional)
- Cognitive Processes in Psychology (optional)
- Issues in Criminology: Discrimination (optional)
- Contemporary Criminology (optional)
- Citizenship, Community and Welfare (optional)
- Cognition & Emotion in Sport & Exercise Psychology (optional)
- Applied Sport & Performance Psychology (optional)
- Gender and Sexuality in Society (optional)
Year 3 Modules
- Literature Based Dissertation
- Critical Social Psychology
- Police Psychology and Legal Framework (optional)
- Investigative and Forensic Psychology (optional)
- Positive Psychology (optional)
- Health Psychology (optional)
- Business and Organisational Psychology (optional)
- Advanced Developmental Psychology (optional)
- Counselling Psychology (optional)
- Principles of Psychopathology (optional)
- Evolutionary Psychology (optional)
- Exceptional Human Experience (optional)
- Brain, Mind and Behaviour (optional)
- Educational Psychology (optional)
Academic Year 2020-2021 Full-time Fees
- Home and EU: £9,250 per year
- International: £12,500 per year
You will also have the opportunity to take your studies further into postgraduate study.
What are my career prospects
You’ll finish with a strong grasp of psychology as a discipline in addition to an understanding of psychological influences and functioning with related areas as chosen by you. Graduates of the course will be well qualified for a career in areas such as the Civil Service, NHS, police force, sports organisations, and occupational and forensic psychology.
About this institute
Buckinghamshire New University
“Shortlisted in the International category of WhatUni Students’ Choice Awards 2019’’ With a rich 125-year history, Buckinghamshire New University offers high quality, employment-focused degree programmes in a wide range of subject areas, from pilot training to business, and nursing and...
Want to know more about Behavioural Sciences with Foundation Year? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America
Chicago, United States of America