Master’s Program in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability (60 Credits)BTH / Blekinge Institute of Technology
About this program
Master’s Program in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability (60 Credits)
Lead change that creates successful organisations that contribute to sustainable development of society.
Leaders that create change – for success and sustainability
Become a leader who strengthens organisations and promotes sustainable development of society. Within two themes – strategic sustainable development and leadership in complexity – you study how to use scientifically founded methodology to contribute to sustainable development by enabling change in complex systems.
An education for change
This one-year master’s program in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability aims to educate leaders capable of supporting sustainable development of society in a way that strengthens their own organisation. The program is built around two themes – strategic sustainable development and leading in complexity.
Strategic sustainable development
Here you learn how to support a transition to global sustainability by creating and implementing economically beneficial development of products, systems, organisations and societies. You learn about the challenges and opportunities of sustainable development, and about scientifically and practically validated methodology for strategic sustainable development.
Leading in complexity
Here you learn how to handle complexity in a respectful way and enable change efficiently. You explore the complexity in both social change and in your own leadership. You learn about scientifically and practically validated methodology for leading in complexity to be able to lead collaborations that enable an attractive sustainable future.
Applicants having a Bachelor degree, English 6 and relevant work experience (internship, volunteer service, full or part time work, extra-curricular activity) over the course of at least 6 months that demonstrates your experience with social and/or environmental sustainability.
Specific eligibility in the English language from upper secondary school for non-Swedish students: TOEFL 575/90; IELTS 6.5 no section below 5.5, or University of Cambridge and Oxford tests.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Courses Autumn Semester 2022
- Strategic Planning for Sustainability
- Innovation for Sustainability
- Leading in Complexity
- Strategic Sustainable Development
- Research Methodology for Sustainability
Courses Spring Semester 2023
- Master's Thesis (60 credits) in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability
Tuition fee: SEK 60,000 per semester
EU/EEA citizens are not required to pay fees.
Master of Science (60 credits)
Knowledge and Understanding
Upon completion of the program the student will:
- Be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of underlying causes for society’s sustainability challenges,
- Be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of theory and methodology for strategic sustainable development,
- Be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of theory and methodology for leading in complexity,
- Be able to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of research and research methodology for strategic leadership towards sustainability
Skills and Abilities
Upon completion of the program the student will
- Be able to demonstrate ability to independently identify and discuss problems of relevance to strategic leadership towards sustainability,
- Be able to demonstrate ability to integrate and apply the two central areas of the program (strategic sustainable development and leading in complexity) to research- and development work,
- Be able to demonstrate ability to orally and in writing communicate and discuss strategic leadership towards sustainability to/with different stakeholder groups,
- Be able to demonstrate ability to engage other persons in work of change, facilitate and lead such work and reflect upon personal leadership and development.
Message the school
About this institute
BTH / Blekinge Institute of Technology
Blekinge Institute of Technology, BTH, has a distinctive focus on the digitalization of society and sustainability. Our task is to contribute to more sustainable societal development through higher education, research, and innovation. We conduct education and research at a high...
Why study at BTH / Blekinge Institute of Technology
Studies Tied to Real Life Demands
BTH offers student-centered and research-based education with clear links to wider society emphasizing creativity, independence, initiative, and entrepreneurship.
Our goal is that our courses and programs will give students opportunities to build a career within their chosen field. Our focus is not only on what happens during the studies, but also what happens after. Therefore, many of our courses and programs include projects tied to real-life demands and are conducted together with industry. This way, the students will gain insight into their future profession and contacts with potential future employers already during their studies.
Students at BTH are part of an international environment that provides them with the opportunity to build global networks for the future.
BTH makes the most of being a small university. Our students quickly get to know one another, and the study groups are small. Students can easily get in contact with teaching staff and other employees. This creates a rewarding, interesting, and safe study environment.
Research for Societal Challenges
BTH’s research is of great relevance and impact, and our findings provide significant contributions in the form of knowledge and innovations to solve the challenges
The research at BTH is conducted at two faculties within the fields of engineering, IT, spatial planning, industrial economics, design, and health sciences.
Despite its relatively small size, BTH has a great deal of research. Today, research and research studies account for more than one-third of our activities and we intend to increase that share even further. We conduct research in a large number of fields all connected by applied IT, which researchers approach from different perspectives.
Research is conducted in collaboration with both business and industry as well as society, and always with a clear focus – that the results will contribute to solving the challenges facing society.
Strong Research Environments in Urgent Fields
At BTH there are three research environments with funding from the Knowledge Foundation (KKS).
- One focuses on creating resource-efficient systems for the analysis of large amounts of data. The research is conducted in cooperation with a number of companies including Ericsson, Telenor, and Sony Mobile Communications.
- The other research environment focuses on the production of digital methods and tools to develop the next generation of sustainable products in the manufacturing industry. The research is carried out in collaboration with a number of companies e.g. Volvo, Tetra Pak, and GKN Aerospace.
- The third focuses on developing new working methods and methods so that Swedish companies can develop future software-intensive products and services in a competitive way. The research is carried out in collaboration with Ericsson, Sony, Telia Company, Handelsbanken, Swedbank, MaxKompetens, Time People Group, Tolpagorni Product Management, QTEMA, and Fortnox.
In addition, BTH runs a major project, funded by the Knowledge Foundation, aimed at developing visual and interactive systems focusing on the human being. The project is conducted in collaboration with WIP, Ericsson, Axis Communications, and Tobii Pro.
The unique health research clinic
BTH Research and Education Clinic is a unique clinic serving as a meeting place for research, education, and health technology product development.
Want to know more about Master’s Program in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability (60 Credits)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!