About this program
Master of Science Program in Software Engineering (60 ECTS)
A Master's degree for professionals focusing on rigorous and data-driven approach to software engineering.
The programme is a possibility for software professionals to complete a university degree on distance in software engineering at a 50% pace during four semesters.
Enhance your skill set and take on new challenges and responsibilities in software development projects and enterprises.
Together with its delivery on distance, the programme presents an excellent option for combining education and work.
In order to fulfil programme requirements regarding the working experience, you need to attach employer certificate (in Swedish or in English).
Bachelor of Science in Engineering including a degree project of at least 15 credits. At least two years of professional experience of software development after graduation (shown by employer certificate). The work experience is expected to include programming skills (shown by employer certificates). English 6.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Courses Spring Semester 2023
- Product and Requirements Management for digital environments
- Adaptive Lean Software Testing
Courses Autumn Semester 2023
- Applied Cloud Computing and Big Data
- Agile and Lean Development of Software Intensive Products
Courses Spring Semester 2024
- Machine Learning Security, 6 credits
- Research Methods and Master's Thesis in Software Engineering for Professionals
- Introduction to Security in the Software Development Lifecycle
Tuition fee: SEK 50,000 per semester
EU/EEA citizens are not required to pay fees.
Degree of Master of Science (60 credits)
Knowledge and Understanding
Upon completion of the programme the student shall:
- Demonstrate broad knowledge in the main field of software engineering, regarding methods and tools applied for software development,
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge in large-scale product development, requirements management and agile / lean software development of products and services,
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and understanding in industrially relevant important areas such as machine learning, software security and big data,
- Show in-depth methodological knowledge in the main area of software technology.
Skills and Abilities
Upon completion of the programme the student shall:
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge and to analyze, assess and manage complex phenomena, issues and situations in the main field of software technology, even with limited information,
- Demonstrate the ability to independently identify and formulate issues as well as to plan and with adequate methods perform qualified tasks within given time frames
- Demonstrate the ability to orally and in writing clearly present and in dialogue with different groups, discuss the conclusions and the knowledge and arguments that forms the basis,
- Demonstrate the ability to either participate in research and development work or to work in other qualified activities within software development, such as in software security, data, quality or requirements analysis or other activities that require advanced analysis.
Students on the programme can apply for the 120 credit programme during their studies.
After graduation, students should be able to perform work in all parts of field of software techniques, when connected to the techniques and methodology for development of software systems in a general to specialist level. Roles may be a specialist in techniques or domain to the various management posts such as technical manager, architect, project manager or otherwise.
Message the school
About this institute
BTH / Blekinge Institute of Technology
Blekinge Institute of Technology, BTH, has a distinctive focus on the digitalization of society and sustainability. Our task is to contribute to more sustainable societal development through higher education, research, and innovation. We conduct education and research at a high...
Why study at BTH / Blekinge Institute of Technology
Studies Tied to Real Life Demands
BTH offers student-centered and research-based education with clear links to wider society emphasizing creativity, independence, initiative, and entrepreneurship.
Our goal is that our courses and programs will give students opportunities to build a career within their chosen field. Our focus is not only on what happens during the studies, but also what happens after. Therefore, many of our courses and programs include projects tied to real-life demands and are conducted together with industry. This way, the students will gain insight into their future profession and contacts with potential future employers already during their studies.
Students at BTH are part of an international environment that provides them with the opportunity to build global networks for the future.
BTH makes the most of being a small university. Our students quickly get to know one another, and the study groups are small. Students can easily get in contact with teaching staff and other employees. This creates a rewarding, interesting, and safe study environment.
Research for Societal Challenges
BTH’s research is of great relevance and impact, and our findings provide significant contributions in the form of knowledge and innovations to solve the challenges
The research at BTH is conducted at two faculties within the fields of engineering, IT, spatial planning, industrial economics, design, and health sciences.
Despite its relatively small size, BTH has a great deal of research. Today, research and research studies account for more than one-third of our activities and we intend to increase that share even further. We conduct research in a large number of fields all connected by applied IT, which researchers approach from different perspectives.
Research is conducted in collaboration with both business and industry as well as society, and always with a clear focus – that the results will contribute to solving the challenges facing society.
Strong Research Environments in Urgent Fields
At BTH there are three research environments with funding from the Knowledge Foundation (KKS).
- One focuses on creating resource-efficient systems for the analysis of large amounts of data. The research is conducted in cooperation with a number of companies including Ericsson, Telenor, and Sony Mobile Communications.
- The other research environment focuses on the production of digital methods and tools to develop the next generation of sustainable products in the manufacturing industry. The research is carried out in collaboration with a number of companies e.g. Volvo, Tetra Pak, and GKN Aerospace.
- The third focuses on developing new working methods and methods so that Swedish companies can develop future software-intensive products and services in a competitive way. The research is carried out in collaboration with Ericsson, Sony, Telia Company, Handelsbanken, Swedbank, MaxKompetens, Time People Group, Tolpagorni Product Management, QTEMA, and Fortnox.
In addition, BTH runs a major project, funded by the Knowledge Foundation, aimed at developing visual and interactive systems focusing on the human being. The project is conducted in collaboration with WIP, Ericsson, Axis Communications, and Tobii Pro.
The unique health research clinic
BTH Research and Education Clinic is a unique clinic serving as a meeting place for research, education, and health technology product development.
Want to know more about Master of Science Program in Software Engineering (60 ECTS)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!