Brno University of Technology
Brno University of Technology (BUT) is the largest technical/engineering university in the Czech Republic and one of the leading educational, scientific and research institutions in Central Europe. Its tradition dates back to 1899, and more than 115 years later the university has more than 20 000 students.Today BUT has eight faculties and three university institutes, five regional research centres (AdMaS, CVVOZE, MRC, NETME, SIX) and it is part of two centres of excellence (CEITEC, IT4Inovation).
BUT in short
- over hundred-year tradition, established in 1899
- more than 20 Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. programmes in English
- International Student Club, member of Erasmus Student Network - buddy programme and Welcome Week for international students
- excellent sport facilities (stadium of Olympic standard) with wide range of sport activities on offer
- the largest student halls of residencein Brno
- research and development cooperation (IBM, FEI, Honeywell, Bosch, Siemens, Škoda Auto, etc.)
- centres of excellence (Central European Institute of Technology, IT4Innovations)
- favourable placement in the QS World University Rankings and THE World University Rankings
- Faculty of Architecture - FA
- Faculty of Business and Management - FBM
- Faculty of Civil Engineering - FCE
- Faculty of Chemistry - FCH
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication - FEEC
- Faculty of Fine Arts - FFA
- Faculty of Information Technology - FIT
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering- FME
BUT programmes cover not only engineering but also the fields of natural science, architecture, fine arts, IT and economics, with a strong interdisciplinary emphasis and close connection with the industrial sphere.
With its state-of-the-art research facilities and academic excellence, BUT has a distinguished reputation among students and professionals.The university cooperates with both EU and non-EU partners (currently has over 600 agreements) and is engaged in various mobility programmes (Erasmus+, CEEPUS, Aktion, EEA and Norway Grants, etc.).
The university’s long-term plan is to strengthen its position among the leading, internationally-respected research universities. International cooperation is, therefore, one of the strategic priorities of Brno University of Technology.
Scholarships & funding
Accommodation scholarship is granted to full time students whose permanent address is not registered in the districts of Brno-město or Brno-venkov. The amount of the scholarship is determined by the rector. The scholarship is paid retroactively in four-month intervals (January–April, May–August, September–December).
Student can be also granted the following scholarships:
- scholarship for outstanding study results;
- scholarship to support doctoral students;
- accommodation grant;
- scholarship for students in difficult social situations;
- scholarship in exceptional cases;
- scholarship to support studies abroad.
Why study at Brno University of Technology
Brno University of Technology (BUT) is an internationally recognised higher education and research institution with 120 years of tradition and an excellent reputation.
We have wide and attractive offer of Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral study programmes taught in English.
Every fifth student of BUT comes from foreign country.
We have developed strong partnerships with many corporations (such as IBM, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Honeywell, Bosch, Siemens, etc.). 5 regional scientific centres create a solid base for our own research and development activities.
Most of all, we would LOVE to meet you!
Student services & facilities
- 4 431 International Students
- 70+ Sports on Offer
- QS World University Rankings 2020 #651–700
- 8 Faculties and 7 Research and Development Centres
- 9 University Libraries
- 1 Special Support and Counseling Centre for Students With Any Kind of Disabilities
Pod Palackého vrchem Campus
The main center of students life: no one calls it other than „Palačák“. Here you can find four faculties, refectories, cafes, students club, sports grounds... and also the largest dormitories.
So put your slippers on and hurry to the lecture. You won't find better place.
BUT Campus is located next to the Czech Technology Park – which provides facilities for companies such as IBM, Red Hat, Vodafone or Zebra Technologies. These and similar companies offer internships to our students so they can learn the newest trends and become familiar with their corporate culture.
And you can see it. During last 10 years we have invested more than 10 billions CZK to new buildings and their equipment. According to QS Top Universities rankings we belong to 2,3 % of the best universities in the whole world.
Brno is the second biggest city in the Czech Republic. It is a technological city because you can find several international companies running their business here. Brno has safe and reliable public transport system operating 24/7.
Our city is part of the Czech Republic, which is 7th safest country in the world according to Global Piece Index 2018.
Brno has great availability of work. A study permit also allows you to work and you can easily find part-time/full-time jobs or Internships both during the semester and during holidays with a good pay.
Our university has International student club, which is an organisation providing help and advice to international students concerning everyday matters before, during and after their arrival to Brno. To make your life enjoyable you can attend Welcome week, various trips, excursions, free time activities and gathering of all kinds to maximize your overall experience.
We have the largest dormitories accommodation capacity in Brno. Halls of Residence and Dining Services offer long-term and short term accommodation for BUT students, BUT employees, students from other universities, the external guests and companies.
Expenses for accommodation at university student halls are around 170 EUR a month,each room has high speed internet. Almost all services are located in close proximity to the campus – canteens, cafés, sports grounds, International Student Club and university clubs. BUT dormitories were among the TOP three in a competition for the best halls of residence in the Czech Republic, which testifies to their good quality. Most university buildings are situated at the University Campus (Pod Palackeho Vrchem) in the northern part of the city of Brno.
The university has many catering facilities available at faculties and student halls which include: cafeterias, restaurants, pizzerias, cafés, bars and snack bars. There is a broad choice of menus in the form of hot and cold, made-to-order, special diet and vegetarian meals in the cafeterias and restaurants. There is a computerized food services system for on-line ordering and cash free payment with student cards.