Master Tourism Destination Management
Tourism comes with economic benefits, opportunities and treaths for the businesses in and habitants of a tourism destination. In the Master Tourism Destination Management you will learn how to develop strategies for responsible socio-economic growth
International professionals in tourism can make a difference. A difference between profit and loss, between chaos and structure, a difference for tourists as well as locals. The tourist industry at tourism destinations is looking for well educated professionals. In this professional master’s program you learn to analyse, interpret and apply global developments and translate these into new opportunities.
If you want to apply for this master, you should have a bachelor’s degree (BA, BSc., BBA, B Com), for example in the fields of tourism, hotel management, international business, management, economics, law, e-commerce, urban development, geography, social sciences or finance.
Bachelor’s students with such a BBA degree are directly eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- knowledge (bachelor’s level) of tourism planning and development
- knowledge (bachelor’s level) of cross-cultural studies
- academic skills at bachelor’s level (e.g. methods and researching techniques)
English language requirements
You will also be required to demonstrate sufficient results on one of these tests:
- Cambridge C1 Advanced/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), with a minimum subscore for Speaking of 169
- Cambridge C2 Advanced/ Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, with a minimum subscore for Speaking of 169
- IELTS test (minimum overall band score of 6.0, and minimum subscore of 6.0 for speaking)
- TOEFL test (minimum score of 80 internet-based, and minimum subscore of 20 for speaking)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Phase 1 Theory in Breda
The first phase covers the following subjects:
- Contemporary Marketing, Context and Trends
- Destination Stakeholder Management
- Context Related Research
- Research Process & Methods
- Destination Development, Finance and Organisation
- Team Performance and Creative Leadership
Phase 2 Fieldwork
In the second phase you will carry out assignments at three different locations in Australia and South-East Asia. These assignments are made up by lecturers in cooperation with stakeholders involved in developments of tourist destinations in this region. Australia and South-East Asia have been selected because of the:
- great familiarity of our staff with the area
- many contacts with businesses, governmental institutions and academies
- familiarity with developments and dynamics
- many variations in culture
- ever changing combinations of Western and Eastern influences
Phase 3 Final thesis
By writing a final thesis during the last phase of the program, you apply your research skills and demonstrate a true understanding of tourism destination management from a professional and academic point of view. You are required to demonstrate critical analysis and evaluation. The final thesis uses concepts, insights and practical abilities to develop a better understanding of the subject under investigation. A final thesis is an individual assignment, carefully supervised by one of our lecturers.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
In the academic year 2020-2021 the statutory tuition fee is €2,143.
In the academic year 2020-2021, students who
- have the Dutch nationality or the nationality of another country that is part of the EEA, or the Surinamese or Swiss nationality and
- have not already obtained a bachelor's degree from a government-funded program in the Netherlands at the start of the academic year.
pay a tuition fee of €2,143. If this does not apply to you, you pay the institutional tuition fee. In the academic year 2020-2021 the institutional fee is €10,385.
Graduates of the Master Tourism Destination Management are entitled to the degree of Master of Arts.
Graduates of the Master Tourism Destination Management qualify for:
International policy and advisory positions
- international advisory functions related to feasibility analysis of investment projects, business strategy and market penetration or development
- public strategic functions in the field of development and management of (tourism) destination areas
- advisory and management functions in the field of visitor management in urban areas, theme parks and nature reserves
- strategic advisory functions
International management positions
- international (growth related) management functions in internationally operating businesses (like service companies, hotel chains, tour operators, airlines)
- international marketing management functions, with destination management organisations or (tourism) marketing consultancy agencies
- international consultancy positions, either project-based or permanently in commercial consulting or international development organisations
- research functions in the area of international (new) market development, market segmentation or market potential analysis
- research functions with branch organisations such as WTO, PATA, Tourism
- external advisory functions in the area of international corporate, financial and organisational development for small and medium-sized companies
About this institute
Breda University of Applied Sciences
Breda University of Applied Sciences is a medium-sized, government-funded higher education institute. More than 7,000 Dutch and international students from some 100 countries are studying at our institute. We offer bachelor’s and master’s programme at professional and academic level in...
Why study at Breda University of Applied Sciences
Studying abroad is a very good experience. You learn about other cultures and gain a greater understanding of the world.
Want to know more about Master Tourism Destination Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain