Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies
The Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies is an English-taught academic program. In three years’ time, you will become an expert at finding and understanding answers to complex issues in the leisure sector.
How can we predict trends in the way people spend their free time? How can traditional leisure companies use social media more effectively to connect to their customers? And what new business models and strategies are needed in an increasingly complex and dynamic leisure sector? After your graduation you will be able to answer all these questions, and more.
Chat live with students from BUas
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Breda University of Applied Sciences? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
You can be admitted to the program with:
- An International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma
- A European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma
- Another secondary or high school diploma that equals the Dutch vwo diploma (such as Abitur in Germany)
- Hbo diploma or propaedeutic certificate
English language requirements
You will also be required to demonstrate sufficient results on one of these tests:
- Cambridge C1 Advanced/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), with a minimum subscore for Speaking of 169
- Cambridge C2 Advanced/ Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, with a minimum subscore for Speaking of 169
- IELTS test (minimum overall band score of 6.0, and minimum subscore of 6.0 for speaking)
- TOEFL test (minimum score of 80 internet-based, and minimum subscore of 20 for speaking)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Year 1- Introduction to the core disciplines of the Leisure field
In the first year, you will get a solid introduction to different branches of business and social science, as well as research methods, underscoring the varied nature of the leisure field. Some courses will focus on the consumer perspective or social science approaches, whereas in other courses the business side is more prominent. You will learn to apply your knowledge in several practical cases.
Year 2 - Deepen your Knowledge & training analytical skills
In the second year, you will strengthen your knowledge on what kinds of activities people choose in their leisure time, and how companies can organise those activities and profit from them. In addition to theoretical lectures, practical seminars, debates and case studies, you will work on several projects for commissioners from the leisure field. In these projects, you will apply the research techniques and theoretical insight learnt in the various courses.
Year 3 - Expanding and Intergrating your Knowledge
In the 5th semester, you will choose a minor at another university, preferably abroad (via our network of partner universities) or in the Netherlands. In the 6th and final semester, you will apply everything you have learned by:
- considering leisure preferences, activities, networks and impacts from all angles. These leisure practices involve complex collaboration processes, for instance in the development of urban space and city culture;
- considering leisure activities across different cultures; studying fundamental phylosophical questions about the relevance of leisure and the ethical questions it raises;
- investigating the contribution leisure can make to the development of urban space and city culture.
- In the last semester, you write a thesis, in which you will investigate a complex leisure issue. Topics for the bachelor's theses can be connected to current research being conducted by members of staff.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
In the academic year 2020-2021 the statutory tuition fee for bachelor programs is €2,143. First-year students pay €1,071.You pay the statutory tuition fee if you:
- have the Dutch nationality or the nationality of another country that is part of the EEA, or the Surinamese or Swiss nationality and
- have not already obtained a bachelor's degree from a government-funded program in the Netherlands at the start of the academic year.
In all other cases you pay the institutional tuition fee. In the academic year 2020-2021 the institutional fee for bachelor's programs is €9,950.
After successful completion of the Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies degree program you are entitled to the degree of Bachelor of Science.
Once you have your Bachelor of Science degree, you can continue your study at Breda University of Applied Sciences with a master’s program. Graduates from the Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies program have direct access to the Master of Science Leisure and Tourism Studies. Breda University of Applied Sciences also offers professional master’s programs, for example the Master Imagineering.
As a leisure expert, you may take up a career in large enterprises in the cultural and leisure sectors, consultancy and engineering agencies, property developers, sports associations, event organisations or state, provincial and local authorities.
Examples of possible professions and employers are:
- Leisure policy developer at for example local and regional authorities (Breda, Noord-Brabant)
- Consultant at for example engineering and consultancy offices (Grontmij, DHV, Berenschot)
- Academic and applied researcher at for example universities, SCP or W.J.H. Mulier institute
- Lecturer at for example Breda University of Applied Sciences,
- ROC’s Project manager at for example large events, exhibitions, leisure project developers, banks
- Staff member (sport) federations at for example NOC*NSF, cultural foundations, exhibitions.
About this institute
Breda University of Applied Sciences
Breda University of Applied Sciences is a medium-sized, government-funded higher education institute. More than 7,000 Dutch and international students from some 100 countries are studying at our institute. We offer bachelor’s and master’s programme at professional and academic level in...
Why study at Breda University of Applied Sciences
Studying abroad is a very good experience. You learn about other cultures and gain a greater understanding of the world.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic