About this program
Media Communications and Publishing BA (Hons)
You’ll develop practical skills in marketing, creative strategy, public relations (PR), journalism and social media management through the lens of politically and ethically engaged media activism, balancing creative and design work with research into online celebrity influencers and media ethics.
Throughout the degree , you’ll examine the role of immersive media, feminist activism, music journalism, games curation and much more in shaping the future of media communications.
You’ll graduate with essential publishing skills, from writing persuasive, concise copy and text editing, to communicating brand identity and audience research. We’ll teach you how to layout content and manipulate images using industry-standard software, with opportunities to develop your skills in image use, video, photography, infographics, and HTML.
Chat live with students from Bath Spa University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Bath Spa University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Year one: audiences, activism and access
- Year two: industries, inclusivity and influencers
- Year 3: emerging voices, technologies and opportunities
Year one (Level 4) modules
- Introduction to Publishing
- Introduction to Editing and Production
- Create Lab
Year two (Level 5) modules
- The Book Publishing Industry
- Experiments in Book-Making
- The Independent Magazine
- The Editor
- Social Enterprise
- Science Journalism and Publishing
- Professional Placement Year
Year three (Level 6) modules
- Digital Publishing
- Publishing Industry Project
- The Commissioning Editor
- Children’s Publishing
- Digital Content Strategy
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
International students Full time: £15,240
Media Communications Program Intended Learning Outcomes
- Systematic understanding of academic material including the historical development of global mass media and surrounding debates, issues and case studies relating to regulation, representations and social uses.
- Coherent and in-depth knowledge of the embedded structures and processes in media scholarship and industry research and their relation to various contexts, local and global.
- Systematic application of key theoretical debates to promotional media production, manipulation, distribution, circulation and consumption
- Critical evaluation of genre and related conventions in ‘popular culture’ and ‘public knowledge,’ and interrelated local and global ecologies of production, representations, reception and impacts based on research using primary sources.
- Systematic knowledge of the complexity and processes involved in the creation and curation of quality content across print and digital, in a cultural and historical context.
- Conceptual understanding that enables students to critically and creatively edit text and images and shape these into coherent, accurate, accessible, ethically-informed, and engaging publications
- Deploy accurately established techniques in copywriting to create and adapt text, which is informative and persuasive to achieve specific actions from the reader.
- Exercise initiative and personal responsibility to work as part of – and to lead – a creative team, identifying skills gaps and negotiating roles appropriate to skills, experience and interests.
Message the school
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about Media Communications and Publishing BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...