History With Politics BA (Hons)
We combine the academic study of history with skill-based modules to create our ‘hands-on’ History degree. You could find yourself learning to write a funding application for one of your modules, and sifting through primary sources at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre or Bath City Archives on another.
You’ll gain broad historical skills and expertise – how to read historical texts; how to use a wide range of historical sources; how to discuss and debate historical subjects. You’ll also learn to analyse, process information, make decisions, manage projects, network, collaborate, and work with experts inside and outside of the University.
You’ll graduate with a wide range of transferable personal and intellectual skills, relevant both to further academic study and to your career ambitions.
We accept a wide range of qualifications for entry to our undergraduate programmes. Typical offers include A-level grades at CCC or above.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This course offers or includes the following modules. The modules you take will depend on your pathway or course combination (if applicable) as well as any optional or open modules chosen. Please check the programme document (below the main image on this page) for more information.
Year one (Level 4) modules
- Europe and the World I
- Europe and the World II
- Atlantic Histories
- Politics, Democracy and Dictatorship in the Modern World
- Disunited Kingdoms: society, politics and culture in Britain and Ireland
- Gender, identity and power: themes and approaches
- War and Popular Culture in the Modern World
- Heritage and Public History
- Material Evidence: History, Heritage and Archaeology
- Fragments of the World: an introduction to World Heritage
- The World in Ten Objects
Year two (Level 5) modules
- Making History 1: Sources: the building blocks of History
- Making History 2: Discourses and approaches
- The British Empire: from Opium Wars to Decolonisation
- Censorship, morality and freedom in British and American Popular Culture in the 20th Century
- Culture, society and politics in 18th and 19th century Britain and Ireland
- The Great War: Conflict and Society
- An ungovernable people? Rights and riot in a historical perspective
- Revolutionary and Napoleonic Europe
- Ships, slaves and sugar: Britain and France in the Atlantic Trade
- Immigration and Race in 20th Century Europe
- Heritage Matters? People, place and politics
- Presenting the Past: audience, story, media
- Professional Placement Year
Year three (Level 6) modules
- Researching the Past: Planning and preparation
- Extended Research Project
- Animating the Past: Public History in Practice
- Epoch of Chaos: A global history of the 1970s
- Islam: Faith, politics and history
- Conflict and community: Public History, Cultural Heritage and Global Politics
- Muslim Migration and Islam in Europe in a Historical Perspective
- More than a Game: Sport and the Modern World
- Society, Culture and Consumption 1700-1900
- Secret Service: Intelligence and Espionage
- History Works: Placement Module
- Memory, slavery and social cohesion in Britain and France
UK and EU students full time fee for year 1 is £9,250
International students full time fee for year 1 is £13,300
If you’ve ever wondered what you can do with a History degree, the answer may surprise you. Yes, you could become a historian or a teacher, but we prepare you for so much more.
The transferable skills you’ll gain on this course will prepare you for a career that demands confident communication at all levels. This could include curation for museums and heritage organisations, or work in the public and social services, the charitable sector, or the NHS. You’ll be well-equipped for project management, education, and events management. You may also choose to continue your studies at postgraduate level.
Our graduates have gone into such areas as financial services, the police force, and management training schemes with major retailers, as well as worked for the National Trust, Bristol Old Vic and the Southbank Centre.
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about History With Politics BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.