History (Heritage and Public History) BA (Hons)
By undertaking in-depth study in heritage and public history, you’ll be able to examine and confront the power of the past in the contemporary world. This takes us from the World Heritage City of Bath, on our doorstep, to the destruction of heritage sites in Iraq and Syria; from the history of slavery to its silent, largely unacknowledged memorialisation in the buildings of the city and the great houses set in the surrounding countryside.
Against this background, you’ll also explore the importance of heritage in the local, regional and national economy, how museums ‘work’, the skills needed to work in the museums and heritage sector, and some of ways in which the past is presented to and consumed by all of us. We’ll help you to take complex historical ideas and think about how to present them in different ways to different audiences; and how to apply these skills outside the University.
We accept a wide range of qualifications for entry to our undergraduate programmes. Typical offers include A-level grades CCC with grade C in History or a related subject.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This course offers or includes the following modules. The modules you take will depend on your pathway or course combination (if applicable) as well as any optional or open modules chosen. Please check the programme document (below the main image on this page) for more information.
Year one (Level 4) modules
- Europe and the World I
- Europe and the World II
- Atlantic Histories
- Politics, Democracy and Dictatorship in the Modern World
- Disunited Kingdoms: society, politics and culture in Britain and Ireland
- Gender, identity and power: themes and approaches
- War and Popular Culture in the Modern World
- Heritage and Public History
- Material Evidence: History, Heritage and Archaeology
- Fragments of the World: an introduction to World Heritage
- The World in Ten Objects
Year two (Level 5) modules
- Making History 1: Sources: the building blocks of History
- Making History 2: Discourses and approaches
- The British Empire: from Opium Wars to Decolonisation
- Censorship, morality and freedom in British and American Popular Culture in the 20th Century
- Culture, society and politics in 18th and 19th century Britain and Ireland
- The Great War: Conflict and Society
- An ungovernable people? Rights and riot in a historical perspective
- Revolutionary and Napoleonic Europe
- Ships, slaves and sugar: Britain and France in the Atlantic Trade
- Immigration and Race in 20th Century Europe
- Heritage Matters? People, place and politics
- Presenting the Past: audience, story, media
- Professional Placement Year
Year three (Level 6) modules
- Researching the Past: Planning and preparation
- Extended Research Project
- Animating the Past: Public History in Practice
- Epoch of Chaos: A global history of the 1970s
- Islam: Faith, politics and history
- Conflict and community: Public History, Cultural Heritage and Global Politics
- Muslim Migration and Islam in Europe in a Historical Perspective
- More than a Game: Sport and the Modern World
- Society, Culture and Consumption 1700-1900
- Secret Service: Intelligence and Espionage
- History Works: Placement Module
- Memory, slavery and social cohesion in Britain and France
UK and EU students full time fee for year 1 is £9,250
UK and EU students part time for year 1 is £4,625
UK and EU students full time fee for year 1 is £13,300
History and Heritage graduates have entered a range of professions including teaching, event management, and heritage management. Our graduates now work for organisations such as the National Trust, Wiltshire County Council and Bath Preservation Trust. Some of our students go onto to study for a Masters degree, including our own highly regarded MA in Heritage Management, and then to a PhD.
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about History (Heritage and Public History) BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.