About this program
Fashion Photography BA (Hons)
The BA (Hons) Fashion Photography course is designed to develop professional fashion photographers in preparation for successful careers in the creative industries.
There are three main components to the course, all of which run in parallel: Identity, Industry, and Context.
Chat live with students from Bath Spa University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Bath Spa University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Year one (Level 4) modules
- Introduction to Fashion Photography
- Fashion Identities
- Photographic Practice 3: Image and Context
- Fashion Spaces
- Professional Contexts 1
- Introduction to Visual, Material and Culture: Art and Photography
Year two (Level 5) modules
- The Fashion Film
- Photographic Practice 6: Narrative Fiction
- Fashion Stories
- Professional Contexts 2
- Photography: Contemporary Issues and Practice
- Professional Placement Year
Year three (Level 6) modules
- Professional Portfolio 1;
- Individual Practice: Portfolio 2
- Fashion Statement: Portfolio 3
- Professional Contexts 3
- Visual Material and Culture: Final Study
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
International students Full time: £16,075
Program Intended Learning Outcomes
- Application of skill in photographic capture, post production and sequencing demonstrating a complex understanding of a range of fashion contexts and the ability to synthesise creative visual solutions.
- Ability to demonstrate creative direction to targeted professional outcomes. Demonstrating a critical dialogue between art direction and skilled production methods.
- Critically evaluate knowledge through active enquiry and the synthesis of complex primary and secondary research material to formulate and resolve ideas in a wide range of fashion photographic contexts.
- Critically evaluate and apply photographic project management skills, demonstrating independence and ability to operate professionally within a creative team and demonstrating professionalism in a variety of fashion photographic contexts.
- Systematic understanding of the methods and techniques employed to demonstrate personal photographic practice and a refined understanding of the commercial contexts and specialisms of fashion photography.
Work Experience and Placement Opportunities
The course will provide you with opportunities to participate in external projects, such as live briefs, fashion events, exhibitions, open studios, placements and published contexts. These opportunities contribute to the future development of your practice and facilitate your skills development in preparation for a broad range of employment possibilities within the broader creative fashion industries.
These include: Professional Contexts modules in levels 4, 5 and 6 which assist you in finding experience with an employer of a self-initiated public platform for your practice. Staff, students and alumni all contribute to these modules through professional lectures and practical portfolio based workshops. These Industry led lectures and workshops establish external relationships and provide valuable insight into creative networks, professional bodies, organisations and funding opportunities as well as competitions and residencies.
Industry live briefs and external opportunities are explored in portfolio modules in level 6.
Students engage in a collective showcase of work at the end of level 6. This is an opportunity for students to work collaboratively and showcase their practice in a public forum.
The university careers office provides access to a variety of opportunities, including starting a business, parttime employment, volunteering and placements.
You will have the opportunity to consider undertaking the Professional Placement Year (module PPY5100). This is coordinated and supported by the Careers and Enterprise team, and you will also be assigned a Professional Placement Year tutor. During the Professional Placement Year, you would commit to working for the external organisation/s for a period of 9-13 months, between the second and third year of your course. At the start of your final year, you return to university and submit a Placement Report detailing your development on placement. By successfully completing the module, you are entitled to the addition of with Professional Placement Year to your degree title, evidencing your work and outcomes in respect of your placement, and demonstrating your ability to secure and sustain graduate-level employment.
Message the school
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about Fashion Photography BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!