Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons)
You’ll gain knowledge and understanding of:
- Social, cultural, historical, political and economic contexts of early childhood
- Approaches to working with babies, young children, families and communities
- An understanding of global issues and debates, such as young children as active participants in the lives and practices of families, societies and cultures
- The processes which shape early childhood and young children's lives, including ethical principles and children's rights
- Educational research and enquiry methods
- Skills which support participation, critical engagement, and intellectual independence.
In addition to this, you’ll gain skills that will make you attractive to employers. You’ll learn to present your ideas confidently in a variety of forms, use ICT for various professional purposes and work collaboratively.
We accept a wide range of qualifications for entry to our undergraduate programmes. Typical offers include A Level grades CCC.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This course offers or includes the following modules. The modules you take will depend on your pathway or course combination (if applicable) as well as any optional or open modules chosen. Please check the programme document (below the main image on this page) for more information.
Year one (Level 4) modules
- An Introduction to Early Childhood Studies
- Children’s Voices in Early Childhood
- Constructions of Early Childhood
- Research in Early Childhood
- Working with Young People in the Community
- Controversial Issues in Special and Inclusive Education
- Philosophical Enquiry and Education
Year two (Level 5) modules
- Care, Development and Learning in Early Childhood
- Professional Practice in an Early Childhood Setting
- Issues in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Pedagogue
- Education and International Development
- Literacy Learning in a Multi Media World
- Supporting Learners with Additional Needs
- Critical Approaches to Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties in Education
- Environment and Education
- Youth in Society: Power, Politics and Participation
- Values, Philosophy and Education: Dialogicality in Action
- Evidence-Based Education
- Professional Placement Year
Year three (Level 6) modules
- Leadership and Teamwork in Early Childhood Settings
- Play and Playfulnes
- Early Childhood Dissertation: Part 1
- Early Childhood Dissertation: Part 2
- Building Bridges: The Team Around the Child / Young Person
- Learning in Mathematics
- Creativity and Digital Technologies in Education
- Childhood, Reading and Children’s Literature
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Education
- Young People, Identities and Subcultures
- Professional Practice: Supporting the Dyslexic Learning in the Classroom
- Learning in Science
- Culture, Creativity and Society: Perspectives in Art Education
- International Perspectives in Early Childhood
- Identity, Philosophy and Education
- Symbolic Representations: Young Children Making Meaning
UK and EU students full time fee for year 1 is £9,250
International students full time fee for year 1 is £13,300
Early Childhood Studies will provide the basis for you to work with young children in different early years settings and contexts. You may choose to work in educational and training advisory roles in a range of organisations including local community, businesses, local authorities, non-government organisations and charities, museums, art galleries and libraries.
You’ll also be able to apply for PGCE courses in teacher training – but if you know at this stage that you want to be a teacher you should consider our early years specialised teaching pathway.
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.