Creative Writing MA
- To plan a manuscript (a novel, collection of short stories, collection of poems or book of literary non-fiction) and complete it, or a substantial part of it, brought to publishable quality or as near as possible.
- To understand literary form, style and genre, as relevant to your chosen form of writing
- To acquire a variety of relevant writing techniques, and research techniques to support writing, and adapt them to your particular creative project.
- To understand and respond creatively to questions arising from the subject-matter, themes, genres, traditions and other literary contexts with which your chosen manuscript is engaged.
- To receive and give precise and sensitive critical feedback in workshop groups and one-to-one tutorials.
- To respond creatively to feedback provided by tutors and other students, adapting that feedback to your particular vision of your book.
- To understand choices and opportunities relevant to your chosen manuscript, including questions of how to place your work, and the role of agents, publishers and editors.
We offer places on the course on the basis of your portfolio of creative writing and an interview, which for overseas applicants may be by telephone or Skype.
We're looking for writers of prose fiction (any genre), poetry or literary non-fiction whom we consider to have the potential to publish their work in the near future.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This course includes or offers the following modules. Please check the programme document (below the main image on this page) for more information on which modules are core, required or optional.
- Professional Skills Workshop (Prose or Poetry)
- Prose Workshop Two
- Poetry Workshop Two
- Writing and Gender
- Writing and the Environment
- The Poet’s Eye
- Writing and Politics
- The Writer and Place
- The Short Story
- Contemporary American Writing
- Modernism and Postmodernism
- Narrative Non-Fiction
- The Love Story
- Storyworlds: Writing for Digital Media
- Historical Fiction
- Writing Now
- The Creative Writing Workshop
- Spoken Word: The Power of Speech
- Story and Writer Development
- The Manuscript
UK and EU students full time fee for year 1 is £7,600
International students full time fee for year 1 is £14,800
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Want to know more about Creative Writing MA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.