Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses
The Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at Bangor is the largest and oldest mindfulness teacher training organisation in the UK, and have been training people to teach mindfulness-based courses for the last 15 years. We were the first program in the world to offer a Masters in mindfulness-based approaches and strive to be the best. Our students often comment about our supportive and experiential learning environment, and develop a close and supportive community of learning as they progress through the course.
The staff at CMRP are active researchers in the field of mindfulness. A recent example is a seminal paper called “What defines mindfulness-based programs? The Warp and the Weft.”
Gain a Masters degree in Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses
- This Masters will provide full training to be a mindfulness teacher, and you gain a Masters level qualification plus the Certificate of Competence in Mindfulness teacher training – this represents the highest level of teacher training in the UK and is a highly sought after certificate.
- This route takes between four to five years to complete, it is up to you at what rate you progress through the Masters.
- There are four compulsory modules (Foundation, Teaching 1, Teaching 2, and Mindfulness Teacher Project).
- Have completed a teacher-led 8-week mindfulness course (Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy or Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction), taught to a group over 8 weeks.
- A good undergraduate or postgraduate degree (usually at a minimum 2:ii standard). Equivalent professional and practical experience in life and work can also be considered.
- Frequent and regular meditation practice (normally on a daily basis) of mindfulness meditation, preferably as taught in MBSR and MBCT, for at least a year before starting the program.
- IT requirements: students must have a computer in good working order (with basic software such as Microsoft Office as a minimum), access to the Internet, and the IT skills required to use these systems.
We welcome applications from international students. Please note that this course is part-time and so will not enable students to get a student visa to the UK. International students who apply will have to independently arrange visas to allow them to attend the teaching days over a 3-5 year period.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Year 1: Foundation - This module is very much about exploring your own mindfulness practice. The experiential aspect is delivered together with teachings about the theory and rationale underlying mindfulness-based approaches.
- Year 2: Teaching 1- This module focuses on training students to teach the core meditation practices, and to develop enquiry skills used in an MBSR/MBCT course.
- Year 3: Teaching 2- This module builds on the skills learned during Teaching 1, and further explores the explicit, taught elements of MBCT/MBSR programs.
- Year 4: Mindfulness Teaching Project- This is the culmination of your mindfulness teacher training and this module is an opportunity for students to have their teaching assessed in-depth by an experienced mindfulness teacher. Students are assessed on a teaching competence tool called the MBI:TAC, the development of this tool was lead by Bangor (Crane et al., 2013), and has been adopted all over the world as the premier mindfulness teaching competence tool.
Choose any one of the four modules below:
- Buddhist Background
- Mindfulness and the Brain
- Mindfulness and Pain and Illness
*Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a MA.
About this institute
Want something different? Well you have come to the right place. Bangor University is a historic University located between the mountains of the Snowdonia National Park, the wonderful Irish Sea coastline, and the awe-inspiring Isle of Anglesey. What makes Bangor...
Why study at Bangor University
Gold rated teaching
Bangor University has achieved a Gold Award, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities for student satisfaction (excluding specialist institutions). This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Wide range of courses
We offer hundreds of courses across the arts and the sciences. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching and our courses and lecturers have been rated in the top 10 in the country.
World class teaching & research
Study at a world-class university, which is recognised for the quality of teaching and research. Bangor University is in the top 40 in the UK for research according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Work experience and placements
We offer a variety of options to gain valuable employability skills, which includes supporting you in work placements and internships that you may wish to undertake.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply by the deadline and select us as their Firm Choice. Our accommodation was rated as the best in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2018.
Free membership of all clubs and societies
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience with free membership of student clubs and societies. There are over 150 different ones to choose from, so you can try something new, get involved with sports, meet new friends and get out and explore the local area.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea – has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Want to know more about Teaching Mindfulness-Based Courses? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...