About this program
PGCE Secondary - Physical Education
On successful completion of the PGCE, Physical Education (PE) Associate Teachers (ATs) will have a secure understanding of the pedagogy of PE and how the subject contributes to the promotion of lifelong engagement in health enhancing physical activity.
“Physical Education is the planned, progressive learning that takes place in school curriculum timetabled time and which is delivered to all pupils. This involves both ‘learning to move’ (i.e. becoming more physically competent) and ‘moving to learn’ (e.g. learning through movement, a range of skills and understandings beyond physical activity, such as co-operating with others). The context for the learning is physical activity, with children experiencing a broad range of activities, including sport and dance.”
PE ATs will be encouraged to view themselves as lifelong learners who are motivated to extend their understanding of the context and culture of teaching PE in Wales. Their teaching will be informed by the theories of learning PE thus developing their capacity to critically engage with research and advance their own teaching.
ATs will embody all of the four purposes in their teaching, but in particular they will know how to ensure that learners become healthy and confident individuals. They will understand the direct relationship between positive exercise experiences and the health and well-being of children and young people; moreover, they will promote positive attitudes towards lifelong participation in health enhancing physical activities.
The Secondary PGCE program is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of how children and adolescents learn, and equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to develop as a creative and innovative teacher. You will learn about adolescent’s development through the Secondary sector and be supported to become an excellent teacher. This course is also offered through the medium of Welsh.
Students on this English medium course will be placed in English Medium Schools only and you do not need to speak Welsh, or live in Wales, to apply for the course. However as part of our commitment to bilingualism we will support you in your understanding of Welsh culture and your Welsh language learning, whether you are a complete beginner or a fluent user of the language.
Chat live with students from B06
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Bangor University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- At least a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in an area related to subject of study.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE examination in any of the following: English Language, English Literature, Welsh First Language, Welsh Literature. Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C/grade 4 must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh First Language.
- Grade B/Grade 5 in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- Candidates who hold Grade C in maths and/or English/Welsh First Language will be eligible to apply and commence the course. These students will be given the opportunity and support to take GCSE grade B equivalence tests during the program. QTS will not be awarded until the equivalency has been achieved. There are also many qualifications accepted as equivalent to grade B in Mathematics and English Language.
- A willingness and positive attitude towards seeking to improve personal use of the Welsh Language.
- Applicants are required to undergo an enhanced DBS check for the child workforce including a check of the children’s barred lists. Applicants who have lived outside the UK are also required to undertake a criminal records check in their countries of residence.
- Applicants are required to undergo a health check.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
ATs will develop their subject content knowledge and their understanding of learning and teaching in PE. Their study of subject knowledge will cover a range of physical activities, the teaching of exam level specifications and also the inclusion of numeracy, literacy and digital competence within PE.
Successful ATs will be able to:
- identify and evaluate educational concepts and issues related to health, physical activity and PE;
- recognise pupils’ learning needs in health and physical activity and interpret these learning needs in order to plan, teach, assess and evaluate lessons and schemes of work;
- demonstrate secure subject content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge in health, physical activity and PE;
- demonstrate secure understanding of the statutory requirements of the new Curriculum for Wales;
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Please contact the institute for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a PGDip or PGCert.
PGCE Secondary with QTS is recognised across Wales and England and is often transferable further afield for entry into the teaching profession. It fully prepares you for the demands of teaching in Wales and beyond.
Those seeking to teach outside Wales and England should check recognition and transferability of Qualified Teacher Status with the respective country’s Teachers’ Professional Body.
The CaBan programs prepare you for a wide range of roles within education and develops essential leadership skills. There is a growing body of evidence that school leadership has an impact on student outcomes second only to the influence of teachers in the classroom. Within the CaBan partnership we have international expertise and experience of the latest leadership theory and research. This expertise impacts on both the content of this program and the significant developments across the region and at national level with respect to developing strong and effective leadership teams in our schools.
The program also offers short placements in Secondary and Special Schools, short/full placements in Outdoor Centres and other education related settings to ensure you have enhanced experience specific to your individual interests.
Message the school
About this institute
Want something different? Well you have come to the right place. Bangor University is a historic University located between the mountains of the Snowdonia National Park, the wonderful Irish Sea coastline, and the awe-inspiring Isle of Anglesey. What makes Bangor...
Why study at Bangor University
A top 10 university
The Complete University Guide 2021 results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities for student satisfaction (excluding specialist institutions). This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Wide range of courses
We offer hundreds of courses across the arts and the sciences. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching and our courses and lecturers have been rated in the top 10 in the country.
World class teaching & research
Study at a world-class university, which is recognised for the quality of teaching and research. Bangor University is in the top 40 in the UK for research according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Work experience and placements
We offer a variety of options to gain valuable employability skills, which includes supporting you in work placements and internships that you may wish to undertake.
We guarantee accommodation for first-year students who apply by the deadline and select us as their Firm Choice. Our accommodation was rated Top 15 in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2020.
Free membership of all clubs and societies
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience with free membership of student clubs and societies. There are over 150 different ones to choose from, so you can try something new, get involved with sports, meet new friends and get out and explore the local area.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea – has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Want to know more about PGCE Secondary - Physical Education? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Graduate diploma / certificate
Graduate diploma / certificate