Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Chinese and Linguistics
Chinese is one of the world's biggest languages, with around one quarter of the entire world's population speaks Chinese as a native language. Chinese language skills are in demand. Many businesses in the UK and around the world are actively seeking employees who can speak Chinese and English.
Our Chinese and Linguistics BA course will provide you with advanced skills in the Mandarin language and a broad range of specialised and detailed insights into Chinese culture, society and history. The degree has language at the heart of it, with core modules developing the key oral, aural and written skills every year. These modules also foster cultural awareness, which you will need for your year abroad, and later on, for the world of work.
You will also develop a strong grounding in Linguistics - the study of language abilities, how they are acquired, how they are used, and how they may be impaired. Because speech is so central to our very existence it is a fascinating and rewarding subject to study.
For 2020 entry:
Typical offer is based on a minimum of 112 tariff points from a Level 3 qualification* e.g.:
- A Levels (no specific subjects required)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- BTEC National/Extended Diploma and Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma: DMM
- City & Guilds Advanced Technical/Extended Diploma: considered on a case by case basis
- Access: Pass
- Welsh Baccalaureate is accepted.
International Candidates: school leaving qualifications and college diplomas are accepted from countries worldwide (subject to minimum English Language requirements).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Chinese for Beginners 1 Core
- Introduction to Language Core
- Chinese for Beginners 2 Core
- French for Beginners I (Semester 1)
- German for Beginners I (Semester 1)
- Italian for Beginners I (Semester 1)
- Spanish Begin./Intermed. 1 (Semester 1)
- Transnational Cultures (Semester 2)
- Creating National Histories (Semester 1)
- Disgrifio Iaith (Semester 2)
- Intro to English Grammar (Semester 1 + 2)
- Language, Literature & Culture (Semester 2)
- Language and Society (Semester 1)
- Intro to Phonetics & Phonology (Semester 1 + 2)
- Introduction to Meaning (Semester 2)
- Chinese Language Skills Core
- Contemporary Chinese Studies Core
- Chinese Language Skills
- Contemporary Chinese Studies
- Introduction to Bilingualism
- Sounds and Sound Systems (Semester 2)
- Meaning, Mind and Truth (Semester 1)
- Morphosyntax (Semester 1)
- Ieithyddiaeth Gymraeg (Semester 1)
- Functions of Discourse (Semester 2)
- English Teaching in Classroom (Semester 1)
- Amrywiaeth yn y Gymraeg (Semester 2)
Advanced Chinese Lang Skills Core
- Advanced Chinese Lang Skills
- Approaching Translation (Semester 2)
- Culture and the Body (Semester 1)
- Key topics in Chinese Studies (Semester 1 + 2)
- Joint Hons Diss (English) (Semester 1 + 2)
- Joint Hons Diss (Target Lang) (Semester 1 + 2).
- Language Contact & Bilinguals (Semester 2)
- EFL Theory (Semester 1)
- Child Language Acquisition (Semester 2)
- SLA and Language Teaching (Semester 2)
- Speech Science (Semester 1)
- Dissertation (Semester 1 + 2)
- Language and Communication (Semester 1)
- Psycholinguistics (Semester 2)
- Agweddau ar Ddwyieithrwydd (Semester 1)
- Historical Linguistics (Semester 2)
*Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a BA (Joint Hons) degree.
This course is an ideal background for many careers, especially those in the teaching and caring professions, but also in more 'high-tech' fields like computing and telecommunications.
About this institute
Want something different? Well you have come to the right place. Bangor University is a historic University located between the mountains of the Snowdonia National Park, the wonderful Irish Sea coastline, and the awe-inspiring Isle of Anglesey. What makes Bangor...
Why study at Bangor University
Gold rated teaching
Bangor University has achieved a Gold Award, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities for student satisfaction (excluding specialist institutions). This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Wide range of courses
We offer hundreds of courses across the arts and the sciences. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching and our courses and lecturers have been rated in the top 10 in the country.
World class teaching & research
Study at a world-class university, which is recognised for the quality of teaching and research. Bangor University is in the top 40 in the UK for research according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Work experience and placements
We offer a variety of options to gain valuable employability skills, which includes supporting you in work placements and internships that you may wish to undertake.
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply by the deadline and select us as their Firm Choice. Our accommodation was rated as the best in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2018.
Free membership of all clubs and societies
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience with free membership of student clubs and societies. There are over 150 different ones to choose from, so you can try something new, get involved with sports, meet new friends and get out and explore the local area.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea – has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Want to know more about Chinese and Linguistics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...