Bachelor Dance ArtistArtEZ University of the Arts
About this program
Dance Artist, the ArtEZ modern and contemporary dance course, trains you to become a dance artist with your own position in the work field. In this age, it is more important than ever for a dance artist to be firmly based in a dance world that is always developing. At the top Dance Artist course at ArtEZ, you are trained as a (co)creating dancer and maker. Key to this is the development and embodiment of your own (artistic) identity as a dance artist.
At the same time, your curiosity about other makers and your surroundings is nurtured: there is a lot of scope for collaborations and projects.
After graduating as a Dance Artist in Arnhem, you may use the title Bachelor of Arts (BA). You can work independently as a dancer and maker at home and abroad for (inter)national production houses and dance companies.
Why choose Dance Artist in Arnhem?
- Performance and (co-)creation: Performance, co-creation and creation go hand in hand during your course
- Interdisciplinarity: You collaborate with other disciplines and courses, including the School of Acting
- Inter-action: Focusing on how you as a dance artist make an impact on society
- High-level dance technique classes: Contemporary Styles & Cultures are supported by the Technical Foundation Techniques
- Proactively to the work field: From the first year onwards, you are aware of the various professional possibilities
- Good facilities: Make use of modern, spacious studios, theatre rooms, theory rooms and media library
Applicants must do an audition. Our dance course is small-scale and personal. For that reason, we only admit between 20 and 25 students every year. This is based on the careful selection of talent. Would you like to apply to join this dance course in Arnhem? Please take the following conditions into account:
- VWO (pre-university education), HAVO (senior general secondary education), MBO (level 4) (senior secondary vocational education and training) or equivalent diploma
- Language requirements apply to this English course
- You must audition and pass this audition.
- IELTS Academic 5.5
- TOEFL Paper 525
- TOEFL iBT Internet 70
- TOEIC 620/260 (listening&reading/speaking&writing)
- Cambridge B2 First - Grade C (scale 162-168)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Propaedeutic phase: preparation
In the first year of the dance course in Arnhem, you prepare your body for technical training. You also receive support in developing an open, flexible, strong mind and awareness of your body. You work on:
- Dance techniques: classical, modern (Graham & Graham today) and contemporary (Counter-technique, Floorwork)
- Techniques and methods for physical awareness kinaesthetic awareness and anatomical awareness
- Supporting techniques: Pilates and fitness
- Your personal profile: in class, you work on improvisation, composition, creation of solos and duets and repertoire. You also work on artistic projects like the Pleasure Island module, in which you work with students from other departments at ArtEZ or learn to integrate other disciplines.
- Theory: anatomy, music, dance history and dance analysis.
The second year: craft year
The second year of the dance course at ArtEZ focuses on developing skills and technical ability. You also study body awareness to help you in your development as a dance artist and performer. Content of the second year:
- Classical, modern (including Limon), contemporary Floorwork, Release and partnering techniques.
- Techniques and methods for more physical awareness at a deeper level. kinaesthetic awareness, anatomical awareness, process inquiry (essence work)©.
- As in the first year, you do Pilates and fitness for support.
- You work on your personal profile through classes in improvisation and physical theatre, composition duet, repertoire and dance dramaturgy. You also explore the work field, create your own work and work on artistic projects like Choco, which bring together composition, choreography and execution.
- You attend anatomy-focused lectures by medical professionals. You also study the theory of music and dance analysis and start philosophy classes.
Third year: integration and deepening
From the third year of the dance academy, you increasingly focus on developing your own artistic identity as a dancer or maker and you learn to integrate the skills you have acquired in a presentation. You are also given extra coaching and peer review sessions from an external dancer or maker. With a personal development plan, you prepare for the transition to the work field. Your academic year is filled with:
- Continuing to work on techniques: classical, modern and contemporary
- Supporting techniques and methods: kinaesthetic awareness, Pilates and fitness
- Working on your personal profile through classes in improvisation, release, inner movement evolution, repertoire and process inquiry©. You also work on an artistic project in which - within the repertoire of a choreographer and under their guidance - you study theory and methods and dance.
- Artistic Research (individual) Modules if you wish to specialise in performance or choreography.
- Depending on your ambitions and plans, there is also time to work on other projects and do audition workshops.
The fourth year: transition to the work field
The fourth year of the higher professional dance course in Arnhem involves an internship and/or projects in the Netherlands or abroad. With support from a mentor, you plan your own graduation program. You might do an internship with a company, develop your own method, set up a project or create your own dance production. In this graduation year, you therefore have one foot in the dance academy and the other in the work field. In consultation with your mentor, an alternative program is also possible. This might be a program in the dance academy or a series of workshops outside school. Our students participated in projects in among others Milan, Porto, Vienna, Brussels, Mainz, Aachen, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Reykjavik, Tel Aviv, Jersey, Linz, Sienna, New York and Bern. They did internships or projects at:
- Club Guy & Roni
- Ann van den Broek
- De Stilte
- David Middendorp
- NB Projects
- Keren Levi
- Scapino Ballet
- Generale Oost
- Jan Martens
- Cullberg Ballet
- National Dance Company Wales
- Tanz Mainz
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees.
Do you want to continue your Dance studies after graduating? At ArtEZ University of the Arts, you can broaden and deepen your knowledge in the Master of Performance Practices.
The (dance) world is changing rapidly. For that reason, we do not train you to become a dancer with only one possible career, but as a dance artist with a career to suit you. What kind of dance artist are you? As a dance artist, you have many options. You can become a strong, authentic performer who can co-create with a choreographer or director, or perhaps become an upcoming maker who uses the dancing body as an instrument to create work with consciousness and impact on the world.
After graduating as Dance Artist in Arnhem, you can use the title Bachelor of Arts. You can work as an independent dancer and maker at home and abroad, for example for (inter)national production houses of dance companies.
Graduates at ArtEZ can, among other things, receive start-up guidance when setting up their own company.
You can also broaden and deepen your knowledge by following the Master course Performance Practices.
Message the school
About this institute
ArtEZ University of the Arts
ArtEZ University of the Arts provides a coherent range of preparatory programmes, Bachelor and Master courses for more than 3000 students in Arnhem, Enschede and Zwolle. ArtEZ Arnhem, Zwolle and Enschede together facilitate more than 60 art courses within the...
ArtEZ University of the Arts
Want to know more about Bachelor Dance Artist? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!