Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
M.A. in Humanities
This is a graduate humanities program that engages students in innovative intellectual work. In small, interactive classes, students learn to apply analysis and research methods from the social sciences, arts, literature, cultural and religious worldviews, and philosophy.
The two-year Master of Arts in Humanities program offers an applied approach to the practice of humanities. Anglo-American University’s international faculty is a resource to students looking for a cross-cultural and interdisciplinary humanities program in Prague. Students develop academically and professionally as they become experts in humanistic work, including visual culture, arts and cultural management, popular culture and media theory, modern intellectual history, and advanced literary studies and critique. The M.A. in Humanities program is ideal for students who are looking to strengthen their candidacy for Ph.D. programs, and for those looking for an alternative to MFA programs.
English proficiency at a level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). There are multiple tests that AAU recognizes as evidence of the C1 level proficiency, especially:
- TOEFL (iBT min. 87, PBT min. 567)
- IELTS (min. 7)
- CAE (min. C)
- CPE (min. C1)
- BULATS (min. 75)
- City & Guilds - IESOL (expert)
- Pearson PTE (min. 76)
For more information about language requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Foundation: (3 courses plus Thesis) – 12 credits total
- Methods in the Human Sciences: Theoretical Paradigms – 3 credits
- Methods in the Human Sciences: Critical Writing, Analysis & Interpretation– 3 credits
- Methods in the Human Sciences: Scholarly Writing and Research/Thesis Writing– 3 credits
- Thesis Seminar – 3 credits
Core Requirements: (10 courses) – 30 credits total
Aesthetics & Art Theory (Choose two from three below)
- Aesthetics–From Enlightenment to Postmodernism – 6 credits
- Methods & Research in Art History– 6 credits
- Art & Society: History of Visual Art in 20th Century– 6 credits
History of Ideas (Choose two from three below)
- History of Historiography– 6 credits
- Main currents & controversies in 20th Century Historiography – 6 credits
- Seminar in Race, Ethnicity & Nationality – 6 credits
Studies in Language, Culture & Communication (Choose two from three below)
- Studies in Language & Society – 6 credits
- The Story of Language– 6 credits
- Psychology of Language & Mind– 6 credits
Philosophy & Religious Studies (Choose two from three below)
- 20th Century Social Theory: From Social Philosophy to Social Theory – 6 credits
- Philosophy & Society – 6 credits
- Comparative Religions– 6 credits
Topics in Literary Studies (Choose two from three below)
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar in Romanticism – 6 credits
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar in Modernism – 6 credits
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar in Postmodernism– 6 credits
Elective Courses – 18 credits total
- 6 courses
Based on 15 credits (five classes)
Additional fees will include: CZK 4,750 Administrative fee
New visa seeking students fee is CZK 91,350 (master students)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Graduates of the M.A. in Humanities program can expect to:
- Have expertise in analytical and research methods of the humanities and social sciences
- Have a specialized knowledge of intellectual history and cultural phenomena of various cultures and societies
- Be able to pragmatically and insightfully compare and critique cultural phenomena of various cultures and societies
- Conduct analysis of the history and interpretation of the practice of humanities
- Communicate professionally, decisively and strategically in verbal and written English; our graduates are able to identify, describe and discuss complex problems and solutions to international audiences
Having completed all program requirements, students are conferred a Masters degree. The degree awarded is concurrently recognized as a Master of Arts (M.A.) in the United States, per AAU's accreditation by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, and as a Magistr (Mgr.) accredited by the Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic. Graduates may select whether to use the U.S. post-nominal or the Czech title.
Access to Ph.D. and Other Advanced Study Programs
AAU graduates are encouraged to apply for Ph.D. programs at private and public universities in the Czech Republic and other EU countries, the United States, Canada, and many other countries around the world.
Our graduates are prepared for success in curation of the arts, cultural diplomacy and institutions, publishing in arts history and critique, tourism, education in the human sciences, and mass media.
Our graduates are able to communicate professionally, decisively and strategically in verbal and written English. Our graduates are able to identify, describe and discuss complex topics for international audiences.
About this institute
Anglo-American University (AAU) is the oldest private University in the Czech Republic. It also a not-for-profit institution with a goal to deliver a truly international and unique study experience. Students from over 80 different countries Average class size of 15...
Want to know more about M.A. in Humanities? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Gran Canaria, Spain