B.A. in Politics and Society
The Politics and Society bachelor’s program is a study of politics from political science and other social science perspectives with special emphasis on democratic transformation in modern Europe. Students enjoy an interdisciplinary program lectured by an international faculty of specialists from Humanities and Social Sciences. Together they examine how political ideas are framed and manipulated in different social contexts.
In a global, interconnected world, societies are linked closer than ever. What does this mean for the future of national governments, and how has modern technology redefined societies to be governed? The B.A. in Politics and Society program is designed to give an overall understanding of how politics and society interact from perspectives of sociology, anthropology, religion, psychology, and economics.
Politics and Society students develop critical thinking, communication and research skills essential for careers in government, politics, journalism, diplomacy and business.
English proficiency at a level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). There are multiple tests that AAU recognizes as evidence of the B2 level proficiency, especially:
- TOEFL (iBT min. 71, PBT min. 525)
- IELTS (min. 6 – minimum of 5.5 in each subtest)
- FCE (min. C)
- CAE (min 160)
- BULATS (min. 60)
- City & Guilds – IESOL (Communicator)
- Pearson PTE (min. 59)
- IGCSE First Language English (C or better)
- IGCSE English as a Second Language (B or better)
- IB (English A or B at HL/SL)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
General College Courses:
- Composition 1
- Composition 2
- Civilization 1
- Civilization 2
- Intro to Law
- Intro to Economic Thought
- Intro to Mass Communication
- Computer Information Systems
School Foundation Courses:
- Intro to Politics 1
- Intro to Politics 2
- Intro to Social Theory
- Social Science Research Methods
School Core Courses
- Political Philosophy 1
- Political Philosophy 2
- Civil Society
- Nations & Nationalism
- Contemporary Europe: History of European Integration
- History of the Cold War / History of Racism & Anti-Semitism
- 20th Century Social Theory
- Gender and Culture
- Social Anthropology
- Literature as Social Critique/ Politics & Drama
- Psychology/Social Psychology
- Language & Power / Language & Policy
- Thesis Seminar
- Hum Elective
- Hum Elective
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Based on 15 credits (five classes)
Additional fees will include: CZK 4,750 Administrative fee
New visa seeking students fee is CZK 85,050 (bachelor students)
Graduates of the B.A. in Politics and Society program can expect to:
- Demonstratebroad knowledge of ideas & issues across the fields of art, literature, film, philosophy, religion, history, politics & sociology, anthropology and psychology; demonstrate broad knowledge of the theories, methods and concepts in these areas;.
- Address and solvemoderately complex theoretical and practical issues and problems in changing contexts
- Achieve insight
- Identify and define the problem
- Select, classify and interpret relevant information
- Use appropriate quantitative and qualitative research methods, concepts and theories
- Employ perspective of a relevant additional discipline
- Identify and select realistic solutions
- Evaluate possible solutions and their ethical implications
- Achieve insight
- Effectively communicateissues, problems, or dilemmas and their solutions
- In appropriate format to specialists and non-specialist audiences
- In written documents, oral presentations and critical discussions, drawing on the relevant disciplinary knowledge and using appropriate citations
- Within a team: review, evaluate and reiterate expert opinions of team members
- In at least one language in addition to English
- Take effective and responsible actionboth individually and within a team
- Take into consideration diverse and changing socio-cultural contexts
- Critically assess outcomes and performances
- Effectively use available resources d. Engage oneself and other members of the team in life-long learning
- Engage oneself and other members of the team in life-long learning (i.e. acquisition of specialist knowledge and competences)
Having completed all program requirements, students are conferred a Bachelors degree. The degree awarded is concurrently recognized as a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in the United States, per AAU's accreditation by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, and as a Bakalář (Bc.) accredited by the Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic. Graduates may select whether to use the U.S. post-nominal or the Czech title.
Access to Master’s Studies
AAU graduates are sought after in master’s programs at private and public universities in the Czech Republic, other EU countries, the United States, Canada and many other countries around the world.
Our graduates are prepared for success in cultural management, reporting, or diplomacy, humanitarian government and nonprofit organizations, education, social research and publishing, and various forms of print and web media. Our graduates are able to decisively practice their skills in intercultural communication, psychology, and sociological concepts in any field they choose to pursue.
Our graduates are able to communicate professionally, decisively and strategically in verbal and written English. Our graduates are able to identify, describe and discuss complex topics for international audiences.
About this institute
Anglo-American University (AAU) is the oldest private University in the Czech Republic. It also a not-for-profit institution with a goal to deliver a truly international and unique study experience. Students from over 80 different countries Average class size of 15...
Average rating 4Based on 1 reviews.
Want to know more about B.A. in Politics and Society? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic