Minor in English LanguageAmerican University of Sharjah
Minor in English Language
All available course dates
Minor in English Language
The minor in English language is for non English language and literature students who are interested in the nature of language, the tool of communication that makes us human. It provides training in linguistic analysis and enhances students’ cross-disciplinary interests in language-related issues.
Students enrolling in the English language minor should have normally completed a minimum of 30 credits of course work and be in good academic standing.
The following rules apply:
- The minor consists of a minimum of 18 credits, including at least nine credits in courses at or above the 300 level.
- At least six credits of the nine credits at or above the 300 level must be taken in residence at AUS.
- At least nine credits of the 18 credits required for the minor must be taken in residence at AUS.
- A minimum GPA of 2.00 must be earned in courses completed to satisfy the minor.
Students seeking a minor in English language must successfully complete the following courses or their equivalent. All course prerequisites must be satisfied.
This minor is not open to English language and literature students.
Minor Requirements (9 credits)
- ENG 223 Introduction to Language Study
- ENG 224 English Grammar
- ENG 226 Development of the English Language or ENG 234 Language in Society
Minor Electives (minimum of 9 credits)
Students must successfully complete a minimum of nine credits in courses selected from the following list:
- ENG 302 Stylistics
- ENG 331 The Sound Patterns of Language
- ENG 332 The Psychology of Language
- ENG 334 Meaning in Language
- ENG 372 English and Globalization
- ENG 382 Language Variation in Media
- ENG 385 Language and Gender
- ENG 394/494 approved special topics in linguistics. Consult the online course catalog or the online class schedule accessible via the AUS student information system to verify course classifications.
- ENG 401 Advanced English Grammar
- ENG 405 Discourse Analysis
- ENG 490 Senior Research Project
- ENG 495 Seminar in English (focus on English language)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee : AED 96,140 per year
A minor in English language:
- helps students to understand the history and structure of English
- helps students to understand the relationship between society and language
- equips students with the necessary tools to compare languages across cultures in a multilingual and multicultural world
About this institute
American University of Sharjah
Founded in 1997, American University of Sharjah (AUS) is an independent, non-profit, coeducational institution of higher education formed on the American liberal arts model. Acclaimed for its academic excellence and multicultural environment, AUS is ranked among the top 10 universities...
Want to know more about Minor in English Language? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...