Police Foundations (Perth)Algonquin College
About this program
Police Foundations (Perth)
The two-year Police Foundations Ontario College Diploma program, delivered in a compressed format over 42 weeks, provides you with a foundational knowledge of the field of law enforcement. Curriculum includes both theory and applied lessons in law enforcement - helping you prepare for employment in industry. This program offers instruction in:
- police powers and procedures
- community law enforcement
- investigation processes
While there is a strong theoretical aspect to this program, there are many opportunities for hands-on learning, in both labs and scenario rooms. There are various activities outside the classroom, such as community volunteering opportunities, and program-related initiatives.
The program prepares you to apply for and be tested for employment in law enforcement. As fitness is an important part of a career in law enforcement, you use an on-site fitness facility to prepare for physical fitness tests required by law enforcement agencies. In addition to your work in our fitness facility, you establish and maintain your own exercise schedule.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Possess good communication (written, verbal, technological) and interpersonal abilities.
- Are committed to serving the broad and diverse needs of their community.
- Have analytical and observational skills.
- Enjoy working as a team member.
- Lead a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT) Overall 80, with the minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Community Service
- Police Powers, Ethics and Professionalism
- Fitness and Nutrition
- Canadian Criminal Justice System
- Introduction to Sociology
- Communications I
- Political Science and Public Administration
- Introduction to Research
- Interpersonal and Group Dynamics
- Career Preparation
- Introduction to Psychology
- Communications II
- Mental Health in Law Enforcement
- Fitness and Lifestyle Management
- Fitness for Law Enforcement
- Criminal and Civil Law
- Provincial Offences
- Investigation and Evidence
- Choose one from equivalencies:
- General Education Elective
- Youth in Conflict with the Law
- Interviewing and Investigations
- Traffic Management
- Police Powers
- Conflict Management
- Community Policing: Partnership and Engagement
- Fitness and Self Defence
- Diversity in Canada
- Criminal Code and Federal Statutes
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Other Delivery Options:
- Part-time On Campus
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Complete all tasks in compliance with pertinent legislation, as well as policing standards, regulations and guidelines.
- Analyze all relevant information and make effective and legally defensible decisions, in accordance with ethical and professional standards.
- Be accountable for one`s actions when carrying out all tasks.
- Develop and implement ongoing effective strategies for personal and professional development.
- Ensure the respect of human rights and freedoms in all interactions.
- Work co-operatively in multidisciplinary teams to achieve mutual goals.
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of community policing strategies.
- Monitor, evaluate and document behaviours, situations and events accurately and discreetly in compliance with legal, professional, ethical and organizational requirements.
- Mitigate risks and maintain order by applying effective strategies in crisis, conflict and emergency situations.
- Take positive actions to help crime victims.
- Conduct investigations by collecting, documenting, preserving and presenting admissible evidence.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
The Police Foundations program can assist you in developing and enhancing your knowledge, skills, and abilities for a career in policing and law enforcement. The Police Foundations program provides an excellent base for careers with Policing Services, Canada Border Services Agency, Military Police, Ministry of Transportation, Private/Corporate Security and various correctional institutions.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Police Foundations (Perth)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!