About this program
By combining hands-on training and theory, the two-year Hairstyling Ontario College Diploma program prepares you for a career as a licensed professional hairstylist in a fast-paced and exciting industry.
As a student, you learn techniques such as:
- permanent waving
- chemically relaxing
- hair additions
You also gain skills in salon operations using industry-standard software. By working in the Salon, Spa and Boutique, you have the chance to put your skills into practice on real clients.
Demonstrate your knowledge by developing individualized styling options, prescribing products and practicing safe and hygienic practices. Upon completion of the program, you are granted 1,500 hours towards the 3,500 total hours required to complete your apprenticeship. After completion of these requirements, you write an exam to earn your license so you can work as a certified hairstylist.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Enjoy interacting with people and providing superior service to clients.
- Have strong communication (oral and written) skills.
- Are organized, creative and energetic.
- Are able to work long hours and stand for extended periods of time.
- Are able to lift five pounds at shoulder height for an extended time frame.
- Are comfortable working in awkward postures or performing repetitive tasks.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 80, with a minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Communications I
- Morals, Values and Ethical Principles: What Influences You?
- Preparatory Procedures I
- Cut Hair I
- Style Hair I
- Professional Development
- Health and Safety
- Communications II
- Colour and Lighten Hair I
- Style Hair II
- Salon Operations I
- Cut Hair II
- Preparatory Procedures II
- Permanent Wave Hair I
- Colour and Lighten Hair II
- Salon Operations II
- Textured Hair Services
- Entrepreneurial Skills I
- Colour and Lighten Hair III
- Salon Operations III
- Cut Hair III
- Style Hair III
- Permanent Wave Hair II
- Entrepreneurial Skills II
- Hair Additions
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Complete all work in adherence to professional ethics, government regulations, workplace standards and policies, and according to manufacturer`s specifications as applicable.
- Facilitate the provision of healthy and safe working environments and perform sanitization procedures, in accordance with related health regulations and legislation.
- Apply entrepreneurial skills to the operation and administration of a hair stylist business.
- Adapt to various and changing technologies, applications and procedures in the hair styling industry, and develop and present a plan outlining future professional development.
- Develop and use client service strategies that meet and adapt to individual client needs and expectations.
- Select and administer preparatory procedures and/or treatments to the hair and scalp, using individually-selected products to meet the expectations of the client.
- Identify, select and use a variety of tools to cut hair according to the needs and expectations of the client.
- Select and use standard and specialized techniques to effectively style wet and dry hair.
- Perform a permanent wave using current and relevant methods according to hair type and style.
- Chemically relax hair by selecting and applying relevant knowledge of, and skills with chemical products and techniques, in order to meet the needs and expectation of the client.
- Colour, lighten, tone, highlight and lowlight hair.
- Compare and contrast fiber types, application procedures, specialized tools, and maintenance procedures when working with hair additions.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may gain employment as hair stylists, colour technicians, or salon managers in salons and day or resort spas. They may also be employed as sales representatives for manufacturers, distributors and retailers of hairstyling products, or may pursue self-employment opportunities.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Hairstyling? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!