About this program
General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (International)
The General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Ontario College Certificate program is an academically-oriented English as a Second Language (ESL) Program designed for International and Domestic students whose first language is not English.
Improve your academic English language skills for college and job success in a dynamic multicultural setting. Upon successful completion of the program, you obtain an Ontario College Certificate, which provides a pathway into post-secondary studies by satisfying the language requirements for entry into most programs offered at Algonquin College.
The EAP Placement Test determines your starting point in the program, ranging from low-intermediate to low-advanced language skills. As you move through the program, you actively participate in a variety of large and small group activities that provide engaging opportunities to practice the four language skills of:
Class sizes allow for ample feedback from your instructors on all in-class and online assignments. Additional features include regular visits to our well-equipped language lab and elective courses that provide opportunities to develop areas of personal interest.
- All applicants must complete a language proficiency test through the Algonquin College Test Centre, and will be required to pay a fee.
- Applicants who have previously obtained scores on standardized tests (IELTS,TOEFL) may not be required to take the placement test
- Applicants who have successfully completed the Algonquin College Pre-EAP program with a minimum B- in every course are not required to take the placement test.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Do not speak English as their first language.
- Are motivated to pursue further post-secondary studies.
- Desire an intensive immersion experience in the English language and Canadian culture.
- Enjoy a dynamic multicultural environment.
- Are committed to pursuing a career that requires advanced English language skills.
- Are comfortable learning in a digital environment.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basic Academic Reading Part A
- Basic Academic Writing Part A
- Basic Academic Listening and Speaking Part A
- Basic Academic Reading Part B
- Basic Academic Writing Part B
- Basic Academic Listening and Speaking Part B
- Intermediate Academic Reading Part A
- Intermediate Academic Writing Part A
- Intermediate Academic Listening and Speaking Part A
- Intermediate Academic Reading Part B
- Intermediate Academic Writing Part B
- Intermediate Academic Listening and Speaking Part B
- Advanced Academic Reading Part A
- Advanced Academic Writing Part A
- Advanced Academic Listening and Speaking Part A
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Advanced Academic Reading Part B
- Advanced Academic Writing Part B
- Advanced Academic Listening and Speaking Part B
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Graduate Certificate
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Analyze a variety of authentic readings from a range of subjects.
- Critically read and analyze academic texts using effective reading and note-taking strategies.
- Develop and apply fundamental skills and strategies to ensure academic success in post-secondary studies.
- Conduct research and write essays and/or reports to ensure success in post-secondary studies.
- Communicate competently at the level required for postsecondary studies, showing flexibility and clarity of thought and expression.
- Examine and evaluate various aspects of our changing society to assist in developing a sense of personal and social responsibility as a citizen in society.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (International)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!