About this program
Fitness and Health Promotion
The two-year Fitness and Health Promotion Ontario College Diploma program prepares you to perform the roles and responsibilities of fitness and health consultants who plan, promote and deliver a wide variety of services. These include activity and educational programs that enhance the health, fitness and well-being of individuals and groups in diverse settings.
In this program, you learn the skills and knowledge to live a fit and healthy lifestyle, which, in turn, allows you to help others achieve their own health and lifestyle goals.
Field placements in the program provide on-the-job training. These varied placements allow you to apply the skills and knowledge gained in classes to a workplace setting, as well as gain exposure to potential employers and add to your overall marketability and employability after graduation.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Believe in the value of an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Are interested in advocating other`s physical activity and wellness.
- Enjoy learning about the human body and how it works.
- Have strong interpersonal and personal management skills, or wish to develop those skills.
- Are comfortable speaking in front of small and medium-sized groups or wish to develop those skills.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent) with a grade of 65% or higher
- Health and Physical Education, Grade 12 (PLF4C,PSE4U,PPL4O,PAF40 or equivalent) OR
- Biology, Chemistry, OR Physics, Grade 11 or 12
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing; 22.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Communications I
- Introduction to Fitness/Wellness
- Field Preparation
- Group Fitness I
- Technology in Fitness
- Achieving Success in the 21st Century
- Report Writing for Recreation
- Applied Anatomy
- Mechanics of Exercise
- Exercise Physiology
- Field Placement 1
- Group Fitness II
- Fitness Operations
- Personal Training Fundamentals
- Fitness Management Customer Service
- Fitness Assessment
- Athletic Injuries
- Career Planning and Professional Development
- Field Placement 2
- Industry Trends
- Personal Training Application
- Fitness Business Management
- Field Placement 3
- Programming for Diverse Populations
- Health and Wellness Promotions
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Conduct an assessment of the physical fitness, activity level and lifestyle of the client using standardized protocols, to build an individualized exercise program.
- Develop, implement and evaluate safe training programs grounded in fundamentals of anatomy, bio-mechanics, cardiorespiratory physiology, and nutrition to support the fitness and wellness goals of clients.
- Instruct individual clients and groups in the correct techniques for executing fitness and training programs to achieve results that meet their goals for fitness, active living, and wellness.
- Select and apply interview tools and coaching strategies that will enable clients and groups improve their fitness, and wellness in sustainable ways.
- Develop business plans for a fitness and/or training business organization to ensure sustainability and viability while mitigating risks.
- Support community health promotion strategies for active healthy living in the general population.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff, allied health professionals and volunteers in the delivery of programs, activities, and the use of facilities.
- Provide positive reinforcement to empower clients and help them sustain their efforts.
- Develop plans and implement strategies for ongoing professional growth and development.
- Communicate information persuasively and accurately in oral, written, and other media formats.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment as personal trainers, fitness instructors, program coordinators, activity coordinators, exercise therapists, exercise specialists, rehabilitation assistants, health promoters. In addition, graduates may choose to become consultants or business entrepreneurs.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Fitness and Health Promotion? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!