Dental Assisting (Levels I and II)Algonquin College
About this program
Dental Assisting (Levels I and II)
The Dental Assisting (Levels I and II) Ontario College Certificate program gives you the ability to work professionally, ethically and collaboratively within a healthcare team to provide oral care for clients. Integrating theory and practice, you learn radiography, lab and chair-side skills, oral health education, and the maintenance of a practice environment necessary for work in the field. Through on-site and off-site dental office experiences, develop dental assisting skills to perform with competence and safety. Provide client care in the Algonquin College dental clinic and experience a 60-hour placement in a private dental office.
This one-year Ontario College Certificate program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada. Graduates are eligible to write the National Dental Assisting examination, which requires successful completion to practice Level II Dental Assisting skills in Ontario. You may then apply for certification with the Ontario Dental Assistants Association.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Are self-directed.
- Are critical thinkers.
- Are able to manage time and a demanding workload.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Are detail-oriented, organized and committed to achieving excellence in their work.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent) with a grade of 65% or higher.
- Mathematics, Grade 11 (MBF3C or equivalent) with 65% or higher.
- Biology, Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of 65% or higher.
- Chemistry, Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of 65% or higher.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 22.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Dental Anatomy
- Preclinic Practicum I
- Dental Radiography
- Principles of Dental Assisting
- Communications I
- Psychosocial Science
- Oral Sciences
- Radiography Practicum II
- Preclinic Practicum II
- Preclinic Foundations II
- Health History Assessment
- Oral Health Promotion
- Restorative Theory and Practice
- Dental Materials II
- Professional Issues and Ethics
- Dental Office Placement
- Client Care Practicum Consolidation
- Client Care Practicum
- Oral Health Promotion Outreach
- Dental Practice Management
- Dental Specialties
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Certificate
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Maintain client and personal safety in the practice environment.
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive client profile by using a variety of data collection methods in collaboration with the client and other healthcare professionals and in compliance with privacy legislation.
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive plan for oral health services and programs in collaboration with the client and other health professionals.
- Provide oral health services and programs, as identified in the comprehensive plan and as permitted within the scope of practice.
- Contribute to the evaluation and reporting of appropriate aspects of oral health services and programs by using a variety of sources including the client profile.
- Act in a professional and competent manner.
- Maintain client records and manage office procedures in compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Upon successful completion of the NDAEB examination, graduates may find employment as a Level II Dental Assistant in general and specialty practices, community health settings, dental sales and dental supply companies.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Dental Assisting (Levels I and II)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!