About this program
The two-year Computer Programmer Ontario College Diploma program prepares you for a career in software development. The program also specializes in program development strategies (using object-oriented modelling), database design and database administration.
Use leading industry software products such as Oracle and CASE tools. Learn about programming languages such as Java, COBOL, SQL and PHP. Study object-oriented analysis and design, operating systems and coding in integrated environments, and learn how to debug, test, and maintain codes.
In your final semester, participate in a software development project working with external clients to gain real-world experience in the programming field.
Students also have the option to gain real-world experience through two paid co-operative education (co-op) work terms (see Additional Information for more details). Please note that places in the co-op version of the program are subject to availability. Students who elect to apply to the non co-op version of the program may not have the opportunity to transfer to the co-op version at a later date.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Enjoy solving problems.
- Are life-long learners ready to meet the challenges presented by rapidly changing technology.
- Take pleasure in providing assistance to others (build computer systems to meet their needs).
- Enjoy working with others as a member of a team.
- Can work independently.
- Are organized in their work and pay attention to detail.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change).
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Mathematics, (Grade 12 MCT4C) or (Grade 11 MCR3U) or equivalent; or
- (Grade 12 MAP4C with a grade of 80% or higher) or
- (Grade 11 MCF3M with a grade of 70% or higher).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT) Overall 80, with a minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Computer Essentials
- Introduction to Computer Programming
- Introduction to Database
- Communications I
- Technical Mathematics for Computer Science
- College and Career Success
- Operating System Fundamentals (GNU/Linux)
- Object Oriented Programming (Java)
- Web Programming
- Database Systems
- Cooperative Education Readiness
- Choose one from equivalencies:
- General Education Elective
- Network Programming
- Object Oriented Programming with Design Patterns
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Mobile Graphical Interface Programming
- Major Elective (1 course)
- Business Programming
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Advanced Database Topics
- Programming Language Research Project
- Software Development Project
- Enterprise Application Programming
- Choose one from equivalencies:
- General Education Elective
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Other Delivery Options:
- Full-time Online
- Part-time Online
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Identify, analyze, develop, implement, verify and document the requirements for a computing environment.
- Contribute to the diagnostics, troubleshooting, documenting and monitoring of technical problems, using appropriate methodologies and tools.
- Implement and maintain secure computing environments.
- Implement robust computing system solutions through validation testing that aligns with industry best practices.
- Communicate and collaborate with team members and stakeholders, to ensure effective working relationships.
- Select and apply strategies for personal and professional development, to enhance work performance.
- Apply project management principles and tools when working on projects within a computing environment.
- Adhere to ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements and/or principles in the development and management of computing solutions and systems.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may work in a variety of different fields, as almost all sectors of industry require programmers. You may be employed as:
- a software programmer
- a web programmer
- a business programmer
- an application programmer
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Computer Programming? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!