Civil Engineering Technology
The Civil Engineering Technology Ontario College Advanced Diploma is a continuation of the Construction Engineering Technician program and is open to students who already have an Algonquin College Construction Engineering Technician Ontario College Diploma and meet the admission requirements. This third year of study explores in-depth areas of civil engineering technology such as:
- project scheduling and cost control
- design of steel structures
- water and wastewater technology
- soils analysis
- reinforced concrete design
Students also have the option to gain real-world experience through a paid co-operative education (co-op) work term (see Additional Information for more details). Please note that places in the co-op version of the program are subject to availability.
During the final two terms of the program you take on a year-long project in collaboration with external industry partners that gives you real-world experience and may help you develop networks within a specific industry. As part of a project team, you participate in leadership events, analyze and solve problems, create deliverables and present the results of your project to the college community and the industry through demonstrations and presentations.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Can work independently to contribute to problem-solving teams.
- Enjoy using math and physics to solve technical problems.
- Seek opportunities to specialize in their career.
- Want to make a lasting difference in their community.
- Enjoy working on complex projects.
- Are able to meet challenging deadlines.
- Students who have completed all the course requirements equivalent to the Construction Engineering Technician program of study with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 are eligible to apply to the Civil Engineering Technology program, as long as they have achieved a grade of C or better in ENL2019T and ENG8404.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Residential Building/Estimating
- Construction Materials I
- Geographic Information Systems
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Health and Safety
- Construction Surveying I
- Commercial Building/Estimating
- Construction Materials II
- Communications I
- Construction Surveying II
- AutoCAD I
- Civil Estimating
- Building Systems
- Strength of Materials
- Structural Analysis
- Geotechnical Materials
- Project Administration
- AutoCAD II
- Construction Building Code
- Business Principles
- Introduction to Structural Design
- Technical Communication for Engineering Technologies
- Environmental Science and Management
- Project Scheduling and Cost Control
- Design of Steel Structures
- Soils Analysis
- Project I
- Technology Report Preparation
- Calculus 1
- Civil Surveying III
- Fundamentals of 3D Modeling for Civil Engineering
- Highway Engineering
- Project II
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Water and Waste Water Technology
- Technology Repor
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Advanced Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop and use strategies to enhance professional growth and ongoing learning in the civil engineering field.
- Comply with workplace health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Complete duties and monitor that work is performed in compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards, bylaws, codes and ethical practices in the civil engineering field.
- Promote and carry out sustainable practices in accordance with contract documents, industry standards and environmental legislative requirements.
- Facilitate the collaboration and interaction among the project team and project stakeholders to support civil engineering projects.
- Collect, process, analyze and coordinate technical data to produce written and graphical project-related documents.
- Use industry-specific electronic and digital technologies to support civil engineering projects.
- Participate in the design and modeling phase of civil engineering projects by applying engineering concepts, technical mathematics and principles of science to the review, production and/or modification of project plans.
- Contribute to the scheduling and coordination and cost estimation of civil engineering projects and monitor their progression by applying principles of construction project management.
- Coordinate and perform quality control testing and evaluate equipment, materials and methods used in the implementation and completion of civil engineering projects.
- Apply teamwork, leadership, supervision and interpersonal skills when working individually or within multidisciplinary teams to complete civil engineering projects.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Similar to the Construction Engineering Technician program, graduates may find employment in many areas of the construction industry, including cost estimating of residential, commercial, and civil projects, surveying, project management, building inspection, materials testing and quality control and construction inspection. There is generally more opportunity for advancement for a graduate at the technologist level compared to the technician level.
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Civil Engineering Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Diploma / certificate