About this program
The two-year Business Ontario College Diploma program, delivered in a compressed format over 42 weeks, provides you with a well-rounded education in multiple areas of business - from finance, accounting and marketing, to operations management and human resources.
Using a combination of theoretical and hands-on learning, you develop essential business skills, such as:
- persuasive presentation and communication skills
- standards of excellent customer service
- advanced business computer applications
- problem solving
Complete projects that reflect real business responsibilities, including participating in a mock trade show and completing a professional business plan.
Students also have the option to gain real-world experience through a paid co-operative education (co-op) work term (see Additional Information for more details). Please note that places in the co-op version of the program are subject to availability. Students who elect to apply to the non co-op version of the program may not have the opportunity to transfer to the co-op version at a later date.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Are well-organized, and can work effectively under tight time constraints.
- Want to start a small business, or use their entrepreneurial spirit to manage an existing business.
- Are team-oriented and enjoy working with others.
- Like using computer and technology applications, and enjoy working in an office environment.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Mathematics, Grade 11 (MBF3C or equivalent).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service-Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 80, with the minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening: 20 Speaking: 20, Writing: 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Accounting I
- Computer Applications
- Communications I
- Cooperative Education Readiness
- Skills for Academic and Business Success
- Introduction to Management Fundamentals
- Introduction to Psychology
- Business Math
- Accounting Concepts II
- Global Business Environment
- Computer Applications II
- Communication Skills for Business
- Introduction to Project Management
- Marketing Research
- Choose one from equivalencies:
- General Education Elective
- Cooperative Education Work Term
- Business Law
- Work Integrated Learning
- Materials and Operations Management
- Business Planning
- Professional Sales
- Human Resources Management
- Choose one from equivalencies:
- General Education Elective
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Other Delivery Options:
- Full-time Online
- Part-time Online
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Identify and discuss the impact of global issues on an organization`s business opportunities, by using an environmental scan.
- Apply principles of corporate sustainability, corporate social responsibility and ethics to support an organization`s business initiatives.
- Use current concepts/systems and technologies to support an organization`s business initiatives.
- Apply basic research skills to support business decision making.
- Support the planning, implementation and monitoring of projects.
- Perform work in compliance with relevant statutes, regulations and business practices.
- Explain the role of the human resource function and its impact on an organization.
- Use accounting and financial principles to support the operations of an organization.
- Describe and apply marketing and sales concepts used to support the operations of an organization.
- Outline principles of supply chain management and operations management.
- Outline and assess the components of a business plan.
- Develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance in the business field.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
This flexible diploma gives you many options after graduation. Graduates may find work in a broad range of employment settings in all sectors of business and industry, both domestic and international, including:
- financial institutions and insurance
- government offices
- manufacturers and non-profits
- medical facilities
Graduates may be employed as:
- marketing assistants
- cccounting support personnel
- management trainees
- sales managers.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Business (Pembroke)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!