About this program
The three-year Biotechnology - Advanced Ontario College Advanced Diploma program gives you a strong overview of the science that drives biotechnology. With a mix of laboratory and theory courses, you learn about:
- cell and molecular biology
- microbiology and tissue culture
- chemistry, biochemistry and analytical instrumentation
- biochemical engineering, and
- quality systems for professional labs and manufacturing environments
As a student, you have the opportunity to carry out experiments and use state of the art laboratory instruments and tools throughout the program. You will meet alumni, and have the opportunity to attend industry talks and professional networking events.
You have the opportunity to work with government and industry professionals through optional field placements or through participation in industry-aligned applied research projects.
Students also have the option to gain real-world experience through a paid co-operative education (co-op) work term (see Additional Information for more details). Please note that places in the co-op version of the program are subject to availability. Students who elect to apply to the non co-op version of the program may not have the opportunity to transfer to the co-op version at a later date.
This program is well suited for students who:
- Are attracted to new technologies.
- Enjoy active and energetic job roles.
- Work well in team-oriented environments.
- Are inquisitive and thorough.
- Enjoy working with their hands.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent) with a grade of 60% or higher.
- Mathematics, Grade 12 (MAP4C or equivalent) with a grade of 65% or higher.
- Biology Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of 65% or higher. AND
- Chemistry Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of 65% or higher. OR
- Physics Grade 11 or 12 with a grade of 65% or higher.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band. OR
- TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 22.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Cellular Biology
- Biology Laboratory
- Understanding Biotechnology
- General Chemistry
- Chemistry Laboratory
- Essential Scientific Skills
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Biology Lab
- Organic and Applied Chemistry
- Organic and Applied Chemistry Lab
- Communications I
- Achieving Success in the 21st Century
- Statistics for Biotechnology Applications
- Biochemistry I
- Biochemistry I Lab
- Microbiology I Lab
- Microbiology I
- Analytical and Physical Chemistry
- Analytical and Physical Chemistry Lab
- Technical Communication for Engineering Technologies
- Cooperative Education Readiness
- Biochemistry II
- Biochemistry II Laboratory
- Microbiology II
- Microbiology II Laboratory
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control in Biotechnology
- Analytical Instrumentation
- Analytical Instrumentation Laboratory
- Biotechnology Theory I
- Biotechnology I Laboratory
- Industrial and Bioprocessing
- Industrial and Bioprocessing Laboratory
- Bioinformatics and Knowledge Management
- Biotechnology Practicum
- Biotechnology Theory II
- Biotechnology II Laboratory
- Environmental Science and Renewable Energy
- Business Trends in Biotechnology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Advanced Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform laboratory duties independently and in compliance with pertinent legislation and regulations, as well as biotechnology standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate in implementing and evaluating quality control and quality assurance procedures to meet organizational standards and requirements.
- Select and implement best practices for sustainability.
- Complete complex biotechnological applications using advanced principles of chemistry, biology and biostatistics as well as basic principles of physics.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate laboratory procedures to carry out quantitative and qualitative tests and analyses.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate standard cell culture procedures under asceptic conditions.
- Co-ordinate, implement and validate molecular biology procedures.
- Manage biological data to support biological scientists and researchers in capturing, organizing/summarizing and storing data.
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, maintain and communicate scientific data effectively.
- Develop and present a strategic plan for ongoing personal and professional development to enhance work performance.
- Apply basic principles to biotechnology practices.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific factors that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment opportunities in a diverse range of bio-based sectors such as the production of pharmaceuticals or medical devices, food and beverages production, or roles as lab technologists in biotechnology, agriculture, or environmental fields. Graduates may also pursue advanced studies through articulation agreements between the college and various universities.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Biotechnology Advanced? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Graduate diploma / certificate