Baking and Pastry Arts Management
The two-year Baking and Pastry Arts Management Ontario College Diploma program gives you specialty skills and management expertise, preparing you for a career in the baking and pastry arts industry.
Gain hands-on experience under the direction of our professional chefs in industry-standard baking and pastry labs. In the first year, focus on building a strong foundation of essential baking skills. In the second year, acquire a combination of advanced patisserie training and management skills for job advancement or business ownership.
Unleash your creativity while learning many advanced skills such as:
- chocolate work
- blown, pulled and cast sugar pieces
- special occasion and wedding cakes
- artisan breads
- plated desserts
- gum paste and almond paste figurines
Gain knowledge and skills related to business planning, sales and cost forecasting, marketing and capital costs. Learn how to thrive in the daily operation of a professional bakery. Plan and compile a business plan that is then presented to a guest judging panel.
Throughout the program, you receive real-world experience with 120 hours of field placement. You also participate in a variety of events and baking competitions within the community so that upon graduation, you have career-ready skills and relevant industry contacts.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Have a passion for creating pastries and baking.
- Possess strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Are artistic and creative.
- Perform well both individually and in a team environment.
- Are precise and attentive to detail.
- Work well with challenging timelines and working under pressure.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 80, with a minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Communications I
- Introduction to Culinary
- Baking I - Theory
- Baking Practical I
- Shop Management and Sanitation
- The Dinner Party
- Field Placement - Baking and Pastry Arts I
- Baking II - Theory
- Cake Decorating Techniques
- Baking Practical II
- Shop Management and Entrepreneurship I
- Communications II
- Nutrition and Food Preparation
- Sugar Techniques and Artistry
- Chocolate Techniques and Artistry
- Baking for Special Diets
- Artisan Bread
- Dimensions of Food
- Field Placement 2 Baking and Pastry Arts
- Advanced Cake Decoration/Gum Paste
- Specialty Cakes,Marzipan and Petit Fours
- Pastry and Plating Techniques
- Shop Management and Entrepreneurship II
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Plan, prepare and present a variety of bakery, pastry and confectionery products to meet the diverse needs of food service environments.
- Produce and present a variety of bakery, pastry and confectionery related products consistent with emerging trends in the industry.
- Apply fundamental nutritional principles to meet industry standards.
- Support the management, operations and the responsible use of pastry, baking and confectionery resources.
- Integrate effective business practices to manage pastry, baking and confectionery operations.
- Develop and use strategies to enhance practical skills, knowledge, leadership and management practices.
- Perform equipment maintenance, sanitation and food safety practices to provide for a healthy, safe and well-maintained work environment.
- Perform work professionally, independently and collaboratively in a baking, pastry and/or confectionery environment.
- Produce financial and business-related documents using information technology.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment as bakers, pastry chefs, sugar patissiers, chocolatiers, research assistants in food manufacturing, managers in the baking industry or pursue self-employment.
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Baking and Pastry Arts Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate