Bachelor of Event, Sport, and Entertainment Management (Honours) (Co-op)Algonquin College
About this program
Bachelor of Event, Sport, and Entertainment Management (Honours) (Co-op)
This four-year honours degree program prepares students for a career in event management at local, national, and international levels, involving entertainment, sport, corporate, tourism, travel, business, non-profit, politics, art, culture and fashion. With the rapid globalization of the event industry, the scale and complexity of today`s events requires the expertise of trained event management professionals.
Now that participants and spectators from across the world travel to a myriad of conferences, competitions, and festivals, event tourism have become a flourishing industry. Students acquire the event management skills necessary to design, project manage and execute a wide range of small to large-scale events, impacting participants and audiences from around the world.
Students build a multidisciplinary set of competencies critical for the event industry, focusing on strategic planning, marketing, and project management expertise. Students develop teamwork, leadership, communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills at the mid-management level. These business fundamentals support a variety of event-specific applications such as logistics, operation and risk management, safety and security, revenue generation, marketing, public relations, project management, economics, finance, entrepreneurship, people management, intercultural relations, sustainability, and crowd management.
Local, national, and international co-op placements provide students with hands-on practise while networking with, and learning from, industry experts. A culminating project challenges students to design, plan and execute a live event with an industry client, thus enabling them to integrate practical, real-world experience with the theoretical learning acquired throughout the program.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Enjoy planning and organizing activities;
- Excel in teamwork and collaborating with others;
- Enjoy taking leadership roles;
- Adjust easily to flexible hours;
- Adapt well to change;
- Possess excellent time management and communication skills;
- Enjoy using creative, strategic and critical thinking skills to solve problems;
- Thrive in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment; and
- Are detail-oriented.
Six Grade 12 University (U) or university/college (M) courses with a minimum 65% average including:
- One Grade 12 U English course
- One Grade 12 U Mathematics course
Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject-specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency.
Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR, TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 90, with a minimum of 22 in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 24.
For more details on admissions requirements, please visit the program's webpage.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Event Computer Applications
- Communications and Academic Writing
- Introduction to Event Logistics
- Foundations of Event Management
- Financial Accounting
- Business Communications
- Programming for Sports Events
- Programming for the Meetings, Incentive, Conference & Expositions (Mice) Market
- Logic and Critical Thinking
- Managerial Accounting
- Event Food and Beverage Management
Programming for Corporate, Government, Non-Profit and Special Events
- Cooperative Education Readiness
- Customer Management
- Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism Marketing
- Technology Applications for Events
- Logistics and Event Production
- Programming for Concerts and Entertainment Events
- Introduction to Human Resources Management
- Critical Path and Project Management
- Co-Operative Work Term 1
- Global Event Trends
- Law and Ethics for Events
- Event Marketing
- Elective (1)
- Risk Management
- Sustainable and Green Events
- Event Revenue Generation
- Introduction to Research
- Elective (1)
- Co-Operative Work Term II
- Crowd Control, Safety and Security
- Experiential Learning Project 1
- Management and Leadership for the Event Industry
- Business Planning for Event Tourism
- Elective (1)
- Career Development for the Event Industry
- Experiential Learning Project 2
- International Management
- Elective (1)
For a complete list of electives, please visit the course webpage.
Programs at Algonquin College are delivered using a variety of instruction modes. Courses may be offered in the classroom or lab, entirely online, or in a hybrid mode which combines classroom sessions with online learning activities. Upon registration, each full-time student is provided an Algonquin email account which is used to communicate important information about program or course events.
For information on tuition fees, please contact the institute.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Interpret and deliver information through verbal, non-verbal and written communication to local, national and international audiences.
- Apply strategic leadership skills and management principles to empower event stakeholders.
- Collaborate with diverse individuals, teams, organizations and culture, while respecting differences, to support stakeholder goals.
- Identify, analyze and solve problems using creative and critical thinking in order to develop innovative solutions in complex environments for small to mega-events.
- Develop strategies for long-term event planning with diverse programming initiatives and comprehensive logistical procedures.
- Research, collect and analyze primary and secondary source data to support human resources and business decisions.
- Bid on, design, plan, project manage, market and execute a variety of event programming elements for a range of national and international audiences and clients in order to promote growth and sustainability.
- Research, select and leverage cutting-edge technologies and marketing strategies to enrich development, event production and market reach.
- Develop, negotiate, and implement financial initiatives based on client goals and objectives.
- Choose and express reflective practice strategies and self-regulated learning to update knowledge, skills, and apply new learning with confidence in changing situations.
- Apply current and emerging concepts, technologies, knowledge and skills to anticipate, and remain responsive to, constantly evolving stakeholder goals and objectives.
- Adhere to legal and ethical guidelines governing the execution of events in a global environment, identifying and reducing risk to all stakeholders.
- Develop and implement safety and security plans to mitigate potential threats and danger related to event crowds.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find career opportunities in for-profit, government and non-profit sectors in a variety of event management roles. Graduates are qualified for entry-level positions to design, plan and execute events. Employers include trade shows, festivals, sports organizations, charities, non-governmental agencies, government, entertainment companies, corporate companies, non-profit organizations, event planning companies, academic institutions and hospitals.
Message the school
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Event, Sport, and Entertainment Management (Honours) (Co-op)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!