The three-year Animation Ontario College Advanced Diploma program provides you with the skills needed to meet the standards of the demanding international animation industry. As a student attending one of the best animation programs in Canada (as ranked by Animation Career Review, 2019), you learn industry-standard technologies, drawing and animation skills.
This program focuses on acting and body mechanics and where you learn traditional, 3D, tradigital (using Toon Boom`s Harmony) and video game animation techniques. Our faculty members are industry professionals who have worked for studios such as:
- Sony Image Works
- Mercury Filmworks
- Jam Filled Entertainment
- Atomic Cartoons
- Warner Bros. Animation
- Corus (Nelvana)
Gain the ability to communicate your ideas through drawing, and to present them visually. Learn to see images in motion - a skill necessary for an animator, and ensure your animated creations are realistic and meet industry standards.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Are creative and think visually.
- Enjoy a hands-on approach to learning about the animation and game industries.
- Have strong observational and analytical skills.
- Have an aptitude for acting and storytelling.
- Are eager to learn new drawing and animation techniques using new technologies.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent. Applicants with an OSSD showing senior English and/or Mathematics courses at the Basic Level, or with Workplace or Open courses, will be tested to determine their eligibility for admission; OR
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) certificate; OR
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate; OR
- Mature Student status (19 years of age or older and without a high school diploma at the start of the program). Eligibility may be determined by academic achievement testing for which a fee of $50 (subject to change) will be charged.
- English, Grade 12 (ENG4C or equivalent).
- Submit a portfolio of 10-15 samples illustrating artistic ability. The portfolio must include samples of formal life drawing, perspective drawing, and fantasy or cartoon drawing. Details of an additional home drawing test will be sent upon receipt of your application. Samples of work to be submitted for assessment must be 8-1/2 x 11.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency. Domestic applicants with international transcripts must be evaluated through the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or World Education Services (WES).
- IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic) Overall band of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT) Overall 80, with a minimum of 20 in each component: Reading 20; Listening 20; Speaking 20; Writing 20.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Life Drawing for Animation I
- Animation Design I
- Animation Practices and Principles I
- Environmental and VIsual Problem Solving I
- Animation Drawing I
- Communications I
- Life Drawing for Animation II
- Animation Design II
- Animation Practices and Principles II
- Animation Drawing II
- Character Design I
- Design Thinking
- Scriptwriting for Animation
- Life Drawing for Animation III
- Animation Design III
- Character Animation I
- 3D Animation I
- Animation Design IV
- Character Animation II
- Life Drawing for Animation IV
- 3D Animation II
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the college website.
Credential: Ontario College Advanced Diploma
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Design, create and animate objects and characters with naturalistic and expressive movements and poses.
- Design and create hand-drawn and/or computer-generated drawings using principles of art, design and composition.
- Select and use appropriate tools and technologies for the development of animation projects.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of animation projects.
- Plan, develop and execute a series of effective and believable animation sequences.
- Create and enhance the production of animation sequences and projects using a variety of principles and techniques related to cinematography and art direction.
- Use storytelling skills to create and enhance the development and execution of animation sequences.
- Use performance theory and skills to create and enhance animation.
- Design and produce layouts using perspective, composition and colour theory, to enhance visual presentation and mood.
- Present and defend a visual concept to a target audience.
- Use computer skills and appropriate digital asset management techniques, to function effectively within a production pipeline.
- Develop, assemble and present a demo reel or portfolio in a manner that meets current industry expectations, and highlights one`s creativity, skills and proficiency with relevant animation software and related technologies.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Graduates may find employment in the booming animation industry in local (Ottawa) studios, or Canadian animation centres like Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver or with studios around the world. Animation grads are sought after with a hiring rate in the +90% range with 100% employer satisfaction according to post graduate surveys. Third year students might also have the opportunity to work in a studio during part of the school year. There are also opportunities for advanced learning to earn a degree through our articulation partners.
About this institute
Consider Algonquin’s unique campuses Algonquin College, located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, offers an experience that includes personalized learning and industry-ready skills through field-work, work placement and co-op. With more than 300 programs, including degrees and graduate certificates, we have the...
Why study at Algonquin College
Canada ranked #1 study abroad country
Canada has been ranked the #1 study abroad country in the world for 2020! Known for its untouched natural beauty, friendly and welcoming locals, and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a clear choice for students looking to study abroad.
Want to know more about Animation? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate