BSc (Hons) Forensic SciencesAbertay University
BSc (Hons) Forensic Sciences
All available course dates
BSc (Hons) Forensic Sciences
Are you literate, numerate and analytical? Do you like to solve problems for fun? Are you naturally inquisitive with a passion for chemistry and biology? Put these traits to work during a Forensic Sciences degree that equips you with the knowledge required to help support the legal process.
It’s a hands-on degree, which allows you to analyse a variety of scenes in our purpose-built facilities, and learn the following physical and chemical analysis techniques in our state-of-the-art laboratories:
- Crime scene investigation
- Body fluid analysis
- DNA profiling
- Forensic chromatography and spectroscopy
- Substances of abuse
This highly vocational programme is broken down into three main study areas – forensic science, chemistry and biology – and dovetails modules from theDivision of Law to prepare you for a variety of workplace situations.
After third year you have the option to join our MSci Forensic & Analytical Science programme, subject to performance.a
Chat live with students from Abertay
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Abertay University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- All applicants must have passes in English and Maths - National 5 grade C or GCSE grade C/4 or equivalent. National 5 ESOL is accepted in lieu of National 5 English. National 5 Lifeskill Maths is not accepted in lieu of Maths.
Subjects that are accepted for entry
- One of the following: Business Management; Classical Studies; Economics; English; ESOL; Geography; History; Media Studies; Modern Studies; Philosophy; Politics; Psychology; Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies; Sociology
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Foundations of Chemistry 1
- Introduction to Forensic Science, Practice and Techniques
- Biology 1: Biology Principles and Practice
- Foundations of Chemistry 2
- Human Physiology
- Advanced Chemical Processes
- Criminal Law and Evidence
- Forensic Human Identification
- Investigative Analytical Science
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Special Topics in Forensic Biology
- Forensic Chromatography and Spectroscopy
- Forensic Material Investigation
- Forensic Trace Evidence
- Forensic Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Scene Examination and Management
- Forensic Applications of DNA
- Substances of Abuse
- Project Research Methods
- Interpretation and Presentation of Evidence
- Honours Project (4)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Scottish & EU Students: £1,820
- English, Welsh & Northern Irish Students: £9,250
- International Students: £14,000
Award Title: BSc (Hons)
Graduates can go into careers such as forensic scientists, either as part of the civil service or the private sector, and related areas such as scenes of crime investigation or police officer. A number of Our graduates have successfully obtained these highly competitive jobs. The course also provides you with the skills and abilities to pursue alternative, interesting and fulfilling career path. For example
- Developing diagnostics in the biotechnology industries
- Quality assurance
- Problem solving in public utilities
- Developing protocols and procedures in the armed forces or government agencies
You may also wish to pursue a career in teaching- many of our graduates have trained as science teachers. Alternatively, you may want to undertake a higher research at an Msc / PhD level.
The transferable skills gained during this degree can also be used in a range of other careers, such as management/business, law, accountancy and disciplines unrelated to science.
About this institute
Abertay University, in Dundee, is the UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021) and a UK top 10 institution for both student satisfaction and teaching (Guardian University Guide 2021). Having...
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Forensic Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Bangor, United States of America