BSc (Hons) Food, Nutrition and HealthAbertay University
BSc (Hons) Food, Nutrition and Health
All available course dates
About this program
BSc (Hons) Food, Nutrition and Health
This degree is vocationally relevant and combines academic theory with practical skills in our newly refurbished laboratories. You’ll be trained by forward-looking experts, with hands-on experience a crucial learning method to help you uncover:
- The nutritional function of foods and nutritional requirements of a person throughout their lifespan
- How to design healthy, balanced foods that are safe to eat
- How food nutrients work in the body and how they impact our health
- The link between nutrition and public health
- What drives consumer eating habits and behaviours
This program helps you develop an in-depth understanding of the relationship between food, diet and nutrition and their impact on the wellbeing of the individual. It will enable you appreciate the link between nutrition and public health and you will learn how to develop nutritional strategies to improve the health of the individual or the community.
Chat live with students from Abertay
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Abertay University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- All applicants must have passes in English and Maths - National 5 grade C or GCSE grade C/4 or equivalent. National 5 ESOL is accepted in lieu of National 5 English. National 5 Lifeskill Maths is not accepted in lieu of Maths.
Subjects that are accepted for entry
- One of the following: Business Management; Classical Studies; Economics; English; ESOL; Geography; History; Media Studies; Modern Studies; Philosophy; Politics; Psychology; Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies; Sociology
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Science Principles and Practice
- Safe Food Handling
- Nutrition and the Consumer
- Food Design and Promotion
- Nutrition through the Lifespan
- Properties of Food
- Food Characterisation
- Public Health Nutrition and Health Promotion 1
- Clinical Nutrition 1
- Food and Behaviour
- Professional Skills for Placement and Research
- Placement for FNH/FCS
- Public Health Nutrition and Health Promotion 2
- Current Topics in Food
- Project Research Methods (2)
- Clinical Nutrition 2
- Honours Project (2)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Scottish & EU Students: £1,820
- English, Welsh & Northern Irish Students: £9,250
- International Students: £14,000
Award Title: BSc (Hons)
If your interests lie in nutrition and health, public health nutrition or home economics teaching, this degree could be your passport to success.
Your CV will be enhanced by a relevant work experience placement in schools, National Health Service or Community roles and projects linked to health and nutrition.
You’ll be trained to maximize your own potential, either contributing to teamwork, or leading a team, and you’ll be confident presenting to audiences of all professional levels – all skills that are valued by employers in the Food and health sector.
Our graduates have gone to secure roles such as: Nutritionist, hygiene officers, home economics teacher, Community advice, consumer advice, and health promotion workers within the NHS or private sectors.
Message the school
About this institute
Abertay University, in Dundee, is the UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021) and a UK top 10 institution for both student satisfaction and teaching (Guardian University Guide 2021). Having...
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Food, Nutrition and Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...