BSc (Hons) Food and Consumer ScienceAbertay University
BSc (Hons) Food and Consumer Science
All available course dates
About this program
BSc (Hons) Food and Consumer Science
This degree is vocationally relevant and blends academic learning with practical skills honed in the state-of-the-art pilot plant and consumer science laboratories. Our leading-edge experts will help you uncover:
- The nutritional requirements of a person throughout their lifespan
- What drives consumer food choices
- What are the quality and safety requirements for manufacturing foods
- How to innovate and make healthy delicious foods ensuring they’re safe to eat
- How to improve products and processes to make the food industry more efficient and sustainable
This course is accredited by the Institute of Food Science and Technology.And according to Unistats,6 months after taking the course, over 90% of our graduates are in employment.
The food industry is the fastest-growing manufacturing sector in the UK. Over the next 10 years, the Food and Drink Federation of Scotland has forecasted that there will be 27,000 new job opportunities for highly skilled food professionals who are capable of making the industry more efficient and sustainable.
Chat live with students from Abertay
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Abertay University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- All applicants must have passes in English and Maths - National 5 grade C or GCSE grade C/4 or equivalent. National 5 ESOL is accepted in lieu of National 5 English. National 5 Lifeskill Maths is not accepted in lieu of Maths.
Subjects that are accepted for entry
- One of the following: Business Management; Classical Studies; Economics; English; ESOL; Geography; History; Media Studies; Modern Studies; Philosophy; Politics; Psychology; Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies; Sociology
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Science Principles and Practice
- Safe Food Handling
- Nutrition and the Consumer
- Food Design and Promotion
- Nutrition through the Lifespan
- Properties of Food
- Food Characterisation
- Public Health Nutrition and Health Promotion 1
- Quality and Safety Management SystemsFood Processing
- Food Processing
- Professional Skills for Placement and Research
- Placement for FNH/FCS
- New Product Development 1
- Current Topics in Food
- Project Research Methods (2)
- New Product Development 2 2
- Honours Project (2)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Scottish & EU Students: £1,820
- English, Welsh & Northern Irish Students: £9,250
- International Students: £14,000
Award Title: BSc (Hons)
If you have a passion for food innovation, new product development, food science or food technology, food promotion and consumer advice, food quality and assurance, food safety or Home economics teaching, this Food and Consumer Science program could be your passport Success.
Your career prospects will be enhanced by your relevant work experience placement and projects linked to health and nutrition, food quality and safety or new product development.
Trained to maximize your own potential, either contributing to teamwork, or leading a team, you’ll be confident In presenting to audiences of all professional levels – a combination of skills that are highly sought-after by employers in the food sector.
Message the school
About this institute
Abertay University, in Dundee, is the UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021) and a UK top 10 institution for both student satisfaction and teaching (Guardian University Guide 2021). Having...
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Food and Consumer Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...