About this program
Master's Program in Advanced Energy Solutions - Sustainable Energy Systems and Markets
A reliable and affordable energy system is a basic requirement of a modern society. Today, energy systems face challenges with the flexible integration of different energy forms (power, heat, fuels) and with the increasing complexity of the systems due to distributed power generation and emergence of active produces-customers, i.e. prosumers. Integrating intermittent renewable sources like solar, wind and wave energy, into the energy system is one of the main challenges of our sustainable future. This major offers basic understanding of energy systems, the main challenges faced by our energy solutions today and possible ways towards a sustainable future.
The major offers a firm theoretical base, as well as practical tools and skills needed by engineers working on the field of energy systems. In order to prepare students for understanding complex and multidisciplinary problems of the field, the major is designed to be flexible. Courses include theoretical considerations, experimental work, industrial applications, and first-hand experience. The major prepares students for the current and future challenges faced by energy companies, the manufacturing industry, consulting companies and society. Students are well-prepared to pursue doctoral studies. Upon completion of the major, the student will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of energy systems
- Have holistic view which enables analyzing complex dependencies in vast energy systems
- Optimize and develop the energy systems, taking into account different energy forms
- Understand the role of various parties in energy markets
- Develop applications for energy efficiency and sustainability
- Analyze and evaluate existing and future challenges in the field of energy systems
Applicants to the program must first meet the general eligibility criteria and language requirements common to all Master’s programs in Aalto University.
The selection process for the major Sustainable Energy Systems and Markets is competitive and paper-based. Applications that pass the eligibility check of Aalto University Admissions Services (administrative evaluation) proceed to the program specific academic evaluation.
The following academic evaluation criteria will be used:
- university/higher education institution; recognized for high quality of education and research
- degree and relevance of studies; suit very well or excellent to the study option
- academic performance; need to be mainly very good or excellent
- motivation and commitment; should be clearly in connection with the study option
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Major common courses
- Power Systems
- Electricity Distribution and Markets
- Energy Markets
- District Heating and Cooling
- Smart Grid
- Advanced Energy Project
- Energy Business and Innovation
- Lighting technologies and applications
- Materials in Energy Applications
- Principles and fundamentals of lighting
- Power Plants and Processes
- Energy, Environment and Emission Control
- Process Integration and Energy Optimization
- Advances in New Energy Technologies
- Advanced Wind Power Technology
- Solar Energy Engineering
- Future Automation Systems in Context of Process Systems
- Risk Analysis
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Linear Optimization
- Seminar on Case Studies in Operation Research
- Exercises in Energy Technology
- Distributed and Intelligent Automation Systems
- Information Systems in Industry
- Distributed generation technologies
- Introduction to Industrial Internet
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For non-EU/EEA citizens: €15000/year
Upon completion of the program, students will graduate with a Master of Science (Technology) degree.
The program qualifies for doctoral studies (Doctor of Science in an applicable field).
The graduates of the Master’s program in Advanced Energy Solutions are capable of acting as an expert of in at least one of the following fields, depending on the chosen major: new power and energy systems and markets, advanced energy and power production technologies, building and communal energy design and use, bioenergy or industrial energy processes.
Typical employers are energy companies, energy-intensive industries, engineering and consultant companies as well as universities and research institutes. The graduates will able to apply novel, adaptive and socially intelligent thinking and enhance interdisciplinary collaboration with well-trained project management skills for entrepreneurship initiatives concerning energy solutions.
About this institute
Aalto University is a multidisciplinary community of bold thinkers, where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future....
Be the first to write a review!