About this program
MFA Recording & Music Production
Our MFA in Recording & Music Production is aimed at international students who are fluent in English and hold a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in music or sound techniques, or in another field but with a keen interest in artistic careers.
It trains students to a high level of competence in sound techniques and music or sound project management: following this training, our graduates have the skills to design, promote and deliver an album, radiophonic, studio, and festival projects and to manage a team of sound technicians.
To be eligible, students must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent (preferably in Fine Arts, although other fields will be considered for admission)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Demonstrate proficiency in English (minimum B2 level) to be able to follow the program
IELTS: 5.5 TOEFL: 72 Linguaskill (Bulats): 60
TOEIC: 785 Duolingo: 95 Cambridge English Qualifications: 160
Students can also prove proficiency by submitting a certificate from their previous institution stating that their previous degree was taught entirely in English.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Acoustics and psychoacoustics
- Equipment technology
- Culture and musical analysis
- Commissioning a studio
- Adding a soundtrack
- Sound recording
- Sound editing
- Computer-assisted music
- Artistic direction
- Stereo and multichannel mixing
- Production file (budget, technical data sheets, planning)
- Artistic project design, promotion
- Language discovery and French cultural awareness
This training forms part of the DNA of 3iS, namely learning by the project. During their 2 years of training, Master of Fine Arts students have the opportunity of working with the support of other English-speaking 3iS programs, as well as recognized professionals. They will thus complete the following projects:
- EP of a music group, track by track: sound recording, editing, mixing, and mastering
- Adding a soundtrack, mixing and recording a music group live
- Producing a title using computer-assisted music or to specifications with a view to distribution on a music catalogue for post-production
- Live show soundtrack and adding a soundtrack managed by Ableton Live
- Artistic direction and composer support: computer-assisted music orchestration, traditional sound recording, editing, and mixing
- Short film music: multichannel mixing
- In collaboration with MFA Cinematography students, sound production for a short film: sound recording with a boom, editing, and mixing of voices and backgrounds
From their first year, students take part in team projects while also following modules in technical education and artistic culture.
During their second year, they work as project managers, managing a personal project and directing a team made up of students from all other sectors. They produce a full artistic and technical file.
Students have the benefit of personalized, one-to-one instruction from a tutor working in the same field as they intend to work: sound engineer, sound designer, or composer. Individual monitoring of a personal project each year enables them to develop their professional project which forms the core element of their training. Tutors also monitor students’ overall progress.
Standard Fee: €14,500 per year
- Sound Engineer
- Sound Designer
- Sound Director
Message the school
About this institute
3iS International Institute of Image & Sound
3iS was founded in 1988 by film professionals to prepare students for careers in filmmaking and sound. Over the years we have expanded our expertise, opened new campuses, and seen our international partnerships blossom. The school hosts around 2,500 students annually across four campuses in...
Why study at 3iS International Institute of Image & Sound
- The largest audiovisual campus in Europe
- Officially and industry-recognized training programs
- A balance of art and technical skills
- Hands-on experience and learning by project teaching method
- Learn from skilled professionals
- A powerful network
Want to know more about MFA Recording & Music Production? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!