You can learn new skills almost anywhere, including online, but there is value-added to learning in one of the biggest tech hubs in the world. Pursuing an education in one of the tech hubs of the world can mean networking with the right people, access to job opportunities, an environment that encourages personal growth, incredible teachers, and more.
Unfortunately, learning in tech hubs isn’t an opportunity that all students are able to achieve. If you don’t have enough time or financial resources to study in one of these tech hubs of the world full-time, don’t worry! There are plenty of other options.
You can do short-term programs, like a certificate or summer school program, to offer you the benefits of global tech hub learning without needing to commit to a new location for a multi-year program. So, even if you can’t permanently move to Silicon Valley, Toronto, or Tokyo, read on to learn about opportunities for learning in some of the best cities for tech jobs in the world.
Thinking about studying Computer Science & IT abroad?
Use our search to find your perfect program!
The Established Tech Hubs
So, where are the biggest tech hubs in the world that can help fast track your career? These well-established tech hubs are located in:
- Silicon Valley — This is the premier tech hub in the world. Some of the most well known tech hubs of the world like Google and Apple started here.
- New York — The city that never sleeps is a born incubator with its own vibe. As one of the largest cities in the United States, New York is among the best cities for tech jobs.
- London — London’s tech scene has been exploding over the last decade, and this world-class city shows no signs of slowing down.
- Tokyo — Living in Tokyo is like living in the future. The technological modernity of this Japanese city will motivate you to make the most of your study abroad experience.
- Toronto — Canada’s biggest city is seen as ‘New York Lite’- albeit cleaner and friendlier. Toronto is home to a burgeoning and down-to-earth tech scene with many opportunities for business and for learning new skills.
- Beijing — This is a regional hot spot and one of the best cities for tech jobs in China, home to several startups turned successors.
Up-and-Coming Tech Hubs
While these cities have garnered a global reputation, there are also lesser-known tech hubs with fast-growing tech communities and ample opportunities for learning:
- Bangalore — There’s no mentioning tech hubs without India, and Bangalore is one of the best cities for tech jobs in the country. With startups, tech, and incredible English skills- it’s a serious contender on the world stage.
- Munich — This is one of the oldest tech hubs in Europe. Munich is a unique meeting place of history, culture, and tech all rolled into one incredible German city.
- Tel Aviv — This Israeli city is underestimated by many, but it is one of the biggest tech hubs in the world. As a powerhouse in the Middle East, Tel Aviv offers incredible experiences in terms of tech and culture.
- Dublin — Dublin is one of the fastest growing tech hubs of the world that hasn’t yet grown too big for its britches. The Irish city is a growing community home to many corporate HQs.
- Oslo — Norway is often left off the map when talking about the biggest tech hubs in the world, but Norwegian education and ambition are making Oslo a subject of conversation in the industry.
- Helsinki — Much like Oslo, Helsinki is a Scandinavian up-and-comer in the tech hub community. Watch out for incoming Finnish innovation!
- Singapore — Singapore is well known in tech circles, but is often wrongly underestimated in terms of opportunities for education. As an English-speaking country with high-quality education in the heart of Asia, overlooking Singapore would be a mistake.
- Medellin — This Colombian city is huge in the innovation, startup, and digital nomad circuit. It’s also a prime learning destination for those planning on doing business in Latin America.
Wondering what it’s like to study in one of the top tech hubs of the world?
Use our country guides to know more about life as an international student!
5 Benefits of Studying Abroad in a Tech Hub
So why select one of the biggest tech hubs in the world for your education? There are several benefits to studying abroad, including specifically in global tech hubs:
The motivational energy of a place buzzing with creative innovators will be the hardest element to define on this list- but it shouldn’t be left out. The energy that fuels you while studying in one of the top tech hubs of the world can not only get you through your program, but will also encourage you to succeed, out-pitch your competition, and facilitate Vulcan-like mind-melds with similarly thinking people.
2. Meeting Peers (Or Future Colleagues?)
It can be hard to start your own business when you’re alone. Your friends may want to support you, but they may not ‘get it’. You will need like-minded people, and learning in one of the biggest tech hubs in the world will connect you with those people. On top of that, those peers will become colleagues who work at the companies you’re pitching to, or will have projects that you can partner with.
Learning other cultures isn’t just a pleasant experience. If you’re going to operate in a global economy, either as an entrepreneur or employee, you need to understand the nuances of different cultures around the world. Studying abroad in a tech hub will ensure that you learn how to interact with people from different cultures and meet the city itself in all its glory.
4. Career Opportunities
Programs located in global tech hubs provide you with the opportunity to meet employers and colleagues in the start-up or incubation phase, receive mentoring, and more. It’s not just one of those things that matters but rather all of them in combination. The more like-minded people you meet and the more you network within your field, the more you set yourself up for success.
Your physical location in one of the best cities for tech jobs generally determines the teachers you will learn from. By studying abroad in a tech hub, you can learn from teachers who are in the business, have connections, and have real-world experience. If you can’t relocate for a full-time program, you can also take certificate programs or summer courses to learn from your dream teacher(s). Teachers that have passion and something incredible to teach tend to be excited about short-term programs that fit into their schedules and allow them to reach larger audiences.
Learning in one of the biggest tech hubs in the world can give you the connections and energy you need to thrive. If you think you’re ready for a study abroad adventure in a tech hub, you’ll need to evaluate your options. For some, it is moving to Silicon Valley, Dublin, or Munich to pursue full-time studies. For others, it’s finding short-term programs to get the connections and knowledge needed to succeed.
About the Author
Offering four short summer educational programs in Toronto, Dublin, Munich, and Silicon Valley, ABC Business Academy brings young ambitious students and individuals together. Their programs provide first-hand experience with the world's leading companies and help students enter the business world ready to make an impact.